Chapter 20 - The Dress

Mia pov

I could really just go out and hunt my mother right now. I know she'd been the only one to do this since she stayed over last night. I fully regret telling her about this party and letting her get drunk on the same night.

I probably wouldn't have been able to stop her since I was out like a light with my third glass but it definitely racks off points for Liam in not stopping her. I was now standing in the thankfully private bathroom on the top floor with one of the few nice grey dresses I have fitted on me.

It wasn't that revealing with the long sleeves and having only a slit on my right leg that still ran a bit too high out of my comfort. The neckline was substantial, stopping where many of my shirts on any given day would. It was better than the dress pants and sweater I was wearing but I couldn't help but feel overdressed.

And the worst part about this particular dress was the zipper. As per my luck always strikes ofcourse Sophia wasn't outside at the receptionist desk where she should be. And I definitely wasn't going to ask anyone else to help.

I knocked on her door feeling the cold air on my back create goosebumps and then letting myself inside when I heard her say come in. She wasn't looking at me, instead focused solely on her computer until she pushed the frame of her glasses up, now looking at me.

She didn't say anything, making my nerves rise but it was even colder in her office than I remembered , feeling my back begging for warmth.

"You-... that's nice, what your wearing that is"

"Thank you. I-um can you help me with the zipper? Sophia wasn't out there so you were the second best option"

"The second? Here I thought I was on your better side by now" It was a small joke but I felt relaxed a bit after watching as she got up and left her desk. I sort of meet her halfway spinning so that she's meeted with my back. I held my breath knowing I should have moved my hair before she did it herself. It's a weird tingly feeling, the warmth of her hands grazing my neck in attempting to do so."Are you breathing?"

I only then thought to do so as I heard the zipper start to drift upwards but she was going slowly as if she wanted this to last. God what am i thinking it might've just gotten stuck a few times that's all,"all done"

I spinned again and I was met with her smile. I have been seeing it a lot more often and I'm glad she is whatever the reason may be. "Are you going to change before the party?"

"Do I look bad in this?"

"Oh-no not at all you look amazing as always. I just thought that since i- because i heard people saying they were going to change that... y'know"

She only kept smiling at me and I just hoped I wasn't any shade different than when I walked in,"I have to call an old friend then I'm going to change. Luckily I don't have to do a speech this year and just enjoy myself. I already know you did a good job in doing the event even on your last notice. Thank you Mia"

"Oh it was nothing. ...Are you looking forward to seeing Julia next week"

"Oh most definitely. I'm only dreading the drive to go pick her up. You'd think with being such a damn expensive school they could provide some transportation themselves."

"Are you driving?"

"Oh no Alex was going to take me. I thought about it... But decided against it"

"And did you consider my offer?"

"You were serious about thanksgiving?"

"Sophia already said she was coming if that persuades you. Her and my mom have been talking nonstop about it. I thought she told you."

"No she surprisingly didn't. If you're sure then it would be nice to celebrate with the Lexy's"

"I'm glad you are. I was hoping you'd come. Well I'm gonna go mediate the drinkers away from the bar before it's too late."

"Oh, have a lot of fun with that." She grins ear to ear and I could help but do so back before leaving with my heart thrashing against my chest like a child. But now I gotta be in full hover mode if I wanna take some of the liquor back home with me.