T H R E E

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

OLIVER FLETCHER

PAST
SEPTEMBER 2018

Ruby, Peter and I turned up at the party around nine o'clock. We had stopped at the off-licence on the way over and I grabbed a bottle of vodka and orange juice. I would drink that stuff over beer any day.

The flat was packed but there was enough space to move between people, just waiting for the police to come and break up the party but I guess this was known for students.

Peter guides us to the kitchen and hands us plastic cups, making myself a drink and taking a large gulp. Listening to slow trance music boom through the apartments.

"There's a garden out back," Peter shouts to us over the loud music.

We both nod back to him as he takes us through to the living space, Peter perches on the edge of the sofa and Ruby stands close to him.

There was clear chemistry between them but I didn't know anyone here, not wanting to start walking around like a loner to give them space. Sipping on my drink as Peter stops a group of people and introduces Ruby and I to them.

Grateful that another set of people were now here, instead of my third wheeling. I find myself in a conversation with two girls, talking away about their final projects for the end of the year. Intrigued, I listened to their ideas, occasionally they'd ask about me but I quickly shoot the conversation back to them.

My eyes glance over at Ruby as she perches down onto Peter's lap, her arm wrapped around his shoulders.

"What are you guys saying, shots?" Peter looks around the circle as he points at everyone.

Ruby claps excitedly. "Yes, yes. Let's do shots."

The two girls I was chatting with already dart across the room to the kitchen, finding mini shot glasses and alcohol. "Come!" Ruby grabs onto my arm.

"I'll give it a miss," I tell her. "I'm gonna get some air."

She shrugs towards me before Peter folds his arms across her shoulder. "Your loss," she smiles to me. "Come find me in a bit."

I nod back at her and turn towards the back door, desperate for some fresh air and a space to breathe. Parties are rather overwhelming, especially with so many people.

Pressing down onto the door handle and swinging it open, the cool air whipping me in the face as I take three steps down to the little patio. Not even bothering to look who was outside smoking around the outdoor table.

Raising my cup to my lips and taking a slow sip, perching against the brick wall between gardens, needing a moment to try and relax before I ran home and jumped into bed.

"You made it," Max's deep voice almost makes me choke on my drink. He waltzes over me from across the garden, stomping out his cigarette with his shoe in the process.

"Yeah," I breathe out quietly. "I made it." Wish I didn't.

His hands bury into his jacket pocket as he stands across from me. "I'm Max," he says suddenly. "I don't think I got the chance to introduce myself."

"I know," I blubber out quickly.

His dark eyes widened slightly at my response. "Oh, you already know?" His voice sounded playful.

"My friend asked who you were and Peter told her," I shrug as his eyes remain on mine.

"I bet that's what happened, Oliver."