T W E N T Y - T H R E E

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

OLIVER FLETCHER

PAST
JUNE 2019

Max was packing his things up from his university house, we hadn't really spoken about where he was going to live after this

Max was packing his things up from his university house, we hadn't really spoken about where he was going to live after this. If he'd move back home or find a place to rent somewhere nearby, but I didn't want him moving far.

I still had two years left of university and I couldn't bear the thought of not seeing him, especially when he'd drop by with snacks and cheeky kisses. That is what I lived for, that is how most of my paintings were completed on time.

Moral support.

Max asked for me to come over, I knew how busy he was this week getting all of his things packed, tidying the house so that they got their deposit back. Knowing those boys, they'd be trying to get beer stains out of the carpet and mould off the bathroom walls.

When I reach his front door it takes no longer than a couple seconds before it's opened, Max was topless and wearing a pair of black shorts. My eyes shamelessly roams his chest and stomach, flicking over his tattoos for a moment.

"Hey," I say with a smile before stepping forward to press a kiss to his lips.

"Hey," he responds before guiding me through the house.

Everything was everywhere, boxes and bin bags. But Max doesn't stop in the living room or the kitchen, he takes me outside where the sun was just about peaking out from a cloud. We perch on the patio step as I watch him, something wasn't right.

"What's going on?" I furrow my eyebrows as Max rests his wrists onto his knees, keeping his eyes firmly trained on the fence in front of us.

"My nan passed away," he says instantly.

My mouth opens to talk but then I shut it again, desperately not trying to say anything stupid. "Oh Max, I'm sorry." I say as I shuffle in closer to him, enough so our legs were just about touching.

Max shakes his head. "She died a week ago," he explains. "I only just found out now."

"Oh," I frown as I drop my chin to his shoulder. "What happened to her?"

"She passed away at the hospital," he breathes out.

I pull my head away, my eyebrows creasing in the process. "And they only told you about it now?"

"No," Max shakes his head. "My dad only just told me now."

What an asshole. I think in my head.

"Were you close with her?" I question quietly.

Max sighs and looks up at the blue clouded sky, a pair of birds floating through the air. "Not really," he admits. "We saw her on holidays like Christmas and Easter but not much more than that."