F O R T Y

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

MAX COSTELLO

PAST
NOVEMBER 2019

The sound of the vibrating needle echoes off the tattoo parlour walls, laying on my front as Rhys inks up a section on my back that had been looking bare for a while now

The sound of the vibrating needle echoes off the tattoo parlour walls, laying on my front as Rhys inks up a section on my back that had been looking bare for a while now. I had been itching to get it tattooed, I hated parts of my skin that looked empty, they looked a thousand times better with a drawing.

"So," Rhys pulls back and turns off the machine, he wipes my back and tips the needle in ink. "That guy you brought with you last time you came."

"Oliver?"

"Yeah," he nods before switching on the machine, the vibrating becoming closer to my skin. "He your boyfriend?"

"Sure is," I smile as I rest my head down onto my hands.

Rhys hums with a smile. "Cute but he is definitely not what I had imagined." He comments.

I furrow my eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"Dunno I guess I thought you'd be into a guy with loads of tattoos, piercings, dark hair, dressed like a biker." He chuckles quietly.

He presses the needle back to my skin and I release a sigh. "You mean a twin of myself?"

Rhys pauses for a moment and laughs again. "I didn't really think about it like that," he says over the loud vibrating. "He's just very innocent and you look like the bad boy from those romance novels."

It's my turn to laugh as I shake my head. "I do not look like a bad boy from a book," I say dismissively. "I guess I didn't really know what kind of guys I was into either but as soon as I saw Oliver I knew it was him. His innocence makes him perfect but still keeping it edgy with his septum piercing, God, I love that piercing."

He pulls back with wide eyes. "Jheez, are you whipped or what?"

"Shut up," I grumble playfully.

"It's nice to see you like this," he admits. "Never really saw you as a relationship person but when I saw you together, it made sense."

I nod slowly. "It does make sense," I say as I glance at the wall, full of tattoo stencils. "It makes so much sense."

"You reckon he's the one?" Rhys questions as he pulls back and places down the tattoo gun and wipes my fresh ink.

"Yes," I say instantly. "He is the one without a doubt. I'll never meet someone like him ever in my life. If I ever lost him, I'd be lost myself. The world turns weird when you're in love, like you'd do absolutely anything for them. Scary but committed."

Rhys hums along to my words. "Well I'm glad you're happy Max, needed someone to cheer up your moody ass."

I roll my eyes as I watch him dampen a piece of tissue and smooth over the new tattoo on my skin. "I wasn't even that moody," I mumble. "Just anti-social, hating people who weren't on my wavelength."