F O R T Y - S I X

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

OLIVER FLETCHER

PAST
DECEMBER 2019

It was my last day at University before the Christmas break and boy did I need a couple weeks off to recharge my batteries

It was my last day at University before the Christmas break and boy did I need a couple weeks off to recharge my batteries. I couldn't wait to drink mulled wine, sing cheesy Christmas songs and watch Elf snuggled on the sofa next to Max.

We had so many plans together including what we would do on Christmas day. My dad invited us round as Kerry does an amazing roast dinner and I did not want to miss it for the world. Max didn't want to be with his family which I understood and he was grateful that we could spend it with my father.

I made sure that my mum had somewhere to go, she was going to visit my aunty which made me feel less guilty for seeing her but after everything that went down, we're still not on the same page.

When I get home Jamie is already in the kitchen preparing some feast. His eyes widen when he sees me and he grins. "Woohoo, we're officially done for the year!" He cheers as I chuckle and shut the door behind me.

"Oh tell me about it," I exhale and swing my bag off my shoulder. "I pray that 2020 goes easy on us. For everything."

"Agreed," Jamie grins. "I'm making tacos, you in?"

I walk towards the kitchen counter and peer over the stove, inhaling the delicious smell of cooking mince and fresh guacamole.

"You fucking bet I am," I grip onto his shoulder. "It smells incredible."

"Well it's gonna be ready in a sec," he looks over his shoulder.

I take one step back and head towards the sofa, collapsing down onto the cushions and breathing out slowly.

"You seeing Max tonight?"

"Mmm hmmm," I say, grabbing the TV remote. "Though he hasn't replied to me all day. He's probably busy with work or something."

"Fairs," he calls out before beginning to plate up.

We eat and we watch a movie and before I know it, it's almost nine o'clock and I still haven't heard anything from Max. I drop him a few more texts and then decide to call him in case he got caught up at work.

But then his phone instantly cuts to voicemail and doesn't even ring.

"Hmmm that's weird," I comment with furrowed eyebrows.

Jamie peers over his phone. "What?"

"Max's phone is just going straight to voicemail, and now none of my texts are delivering to him."

"His phone is probably dead, maybe he forgot." Jamie shrugs before looking back down at his screen.

I huff out one breath and drop my phone beside me. My thumbs dig into my eyes and I extend my head up to the ceiling.