F O R T Y - F I V E

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

MAX COSTELLO

PAST
DECEMBER 2019

The last month has been hectic, crazy and quite frankly dangerous

The last month has been hectic, crazy and quite frankly dangerous. I thought Jeff was done with all his dodgy shit when I gave him back the bag full of cash but that's when we started getting harassed.

Passive aggressive letters started coming through Jeff's front door, his parents at first were confused but he assured them it was a prank. Afraid that they would call the police and make this situation ten times worse.

During this time I moved out, I couldn't be associated with that shit anymore. All I did was hold a bag for him and drop it off, I didn't agree to do anything else. But that's where I fucked up, they remembered my face, learnt my name.

Jeff started panicking which only made me panic. He had fucked up with their money and lost ten thousand pounds. It took over forty five minutes to get this information out of him and when I did, I wished that I didn't.

I paced his living room, enough to leave prints in his carpet forever.

The threats started getting more violent and I told Jeff he had to sort this. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't think, I couldn't do anything without looking over my shoulder twice. Making sure that no one was following me and about to smash my head in with a hammer.

I didn't utter a word to Oliver, he didn't need the added stress. It wasn't fair.

Jeff said he'd sort it but I would only believe it when I saw it. The thing with Jeff is that he's a very leave it to the last minute sort of person, and in situations like these, it didn't work out well.

The gang went round to Jeff's house, beat him up and threatened to go after his family, to go after me and anyone I cared about. This wasn't going away and nothing was being done about it.

I screamed at Jeff, telling him to give back the money but he informed me that he was in so much debt that he can't even get out a loan.

Pure fear sank into my skin. They were going to hurt us, they'd hurt Oliver to get anything out of me.

Gangs like them don't care, they want people to be scared, that's how they throw around their power. By terrorising people and showing them why they should never be messed with again.

There is no way I could scrape together ten thousand pounds in the matter of a few days, I had my university debts to pay and my own rent. I'd be homeless and vulnerable.

Jeff stopped replying to my messages, calls, he was nowhere to be found.

I wanted to die. They would come after me next and I'd be done for.