T H I R T E E N

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

OLIVER FLETCHER

PAST
APRIL 2019

"Oliver," Max's voice strains out as I grip onto his hand and look up at his blindfolded eyes. "I don't like this."

"That's the point of a surprise, silly." I shake my head towards him.

"Where are we going?" He huffs out impatiently.

"Just a couple more steps," I say as I push us into the glass door of the bar, my eyes clocking the group of people standing by the stairs.

"Oliver," he groans again.

"Shhhh will you," I say as I squeeze onto his hand.

I stop directly in front of his friends, all of them grinning back at me widely. "Okay," I say gently. "Take off the blindfold."

Max lowers his head and pulls off the mask that was covering his eyes. "Happy birthday Max!" They shout back at him and he blinks before grinning.

"What the hell?" He says in disbelief as his friends come over one by one to wish him for his birthday.

Max turns to me in surprise. "You said you wanted to do something fun," I tell him as I lean up onto my toes to press a kiss to his cheek. "So I decided to get all the people you care about in one room."

"Oliver, you're the best," he tells me as he catches our lips together in a sweet kiss. "Thank you."

"We're overdue shots!" I shout to him and he recoils like I slapped him.

"You and shots?" He says in surprise. I nod my head back to him. "Who are you and what have you done with Oliver?"

My eyes roll towards him with a playful smile on my face. "It's your birthday, of course we're going to celebrate." I tell him as I grab onto his hand and guide him over to the bar.

I order four tequila shots and Max gives me an unsure look but I brush it off. Pouring the salt onto our hands, clinking out glasses together before taking the salt, tequila and then the lemon.

My mouth burns with the taste of alcohol, shots and me didn't really mix. But for birthdays, that was an exception.

"To you," I say as I raise the second shot.

"To me." He grins before downing the tequila.

. . .

My eyesight was blurry by the time that the bar closed, swaying left, right and centre. Chatting endless amounts of shit to everyone that came for Max's birthday. We climb out of the taxi and into Max's university house with a couple of his flatmates.

His arm was wrapped around my torso, helping me into the house and up the stairs. Mumbling away inaudible words as he places me down onto his bed.

"I'm sorry," I slur as I let out a big sigh.

Max drops to his knees in front of me and smiles. "It's okay," he says as he begins to untie my shoes.

"It should b-be you getting drunk." I grumble out. "Not me."

His shoulders shrug as he pulls off one of my shoes. "Well I'd rather you get wasted than me, that way I can remember the night." He tells me.

"Are you mad?"

Max looks up at me as his expression drops, his fingers working to untie my right shoe without looking. "Of course I'm not," he says gently. "I like that you had a good time. I love it when you come out of your shell around me and my friends. Everyone loved you tonight."