T H I R T Y - F O U R

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

OLIVER FLETCHER

PAST
SEPTEMBER 2019

Max decided to take Jamie and I to a restaurant not too far from our new apartment, a small little Italian place that I had never heard of

Max decided to take Jamie and I to a restaurant not too far from our new apartment, a small little Italian place that I had never heard of. But we both needed to venture around the area to see what there is including bars and places to go out. We'd be living here now until we finish university.

That's if Jamie doesn't get bored of me by then.

"So Jamie," Max clears his throat to catch his attention. "What do you study?"

Jamie glances up from the menu in front of him, resting his elbows down onto the table. "I study game art," he says after a few moments. "What about you?"

"I graduated a few months ago but I studied illustrations," he nods. "But game art, that's cool. I don't know anyone who's studied that."

"Well now you do," Jamie forces out a smile before reading the menu again.

My eyes float over to Max who gives me a look, then he silently sighs. He definitely had to be patient with Jamie, especially after what happened. I get that Jamie doesn't want to jump into being friendly after he threatened him.

"Max has actually been offered a job to create an illustrated comic strip for an online company," I say as I turn my attention back to Jamie.

Jamie looks at me and then to Max. "Oh yeah?" He sounded interested. "What company?"

"They're called The Virtual World," Max leans forward onto the table. "You've probably heard of them."

"Yeah," Jamie nods instantly. "They're really successful. Congrats, that's a sick job to get straight after graduating."

A genuine smile stretches across Max's face. "Thank you," he says gratefully.

"If you see his work then you'd understand how he bagged such an amazing job," I say proudly as they both turn their attention towards me.

Max's hand moves under the table to cup my knee and give me a gentle squeeze. "Well I haven't even started yet," he dismisses himself.

"When do you start?" Jamie questions.

"Next week," Max responds. "I'm kinda nervous."

My eyes widen at his words. "You? Nervous?" I say in shock.

Max rolls his eyes and moves his hand from my leg. "Of course I'm nervous, this is such a big deal. What if they hate my work or they don't like me?"

"You're overthinking," I say instantly. "Stop overthinking, they're going to love you."