T H I R T Y - T W O

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

OLIVER FLETCHER

PAST
AUGUST 2019

Thankfully the art studios on campus were open over summer, God knows what I would be doing if I had to just sit in my room for another month and a half

Thankfully the art studios on campus were open over summer, God knows what I would be doing if I had to just sit in my room for another month and a half. I would most definitely drive myself insane.

I had been working on a piece that I wanted to experiment with, push myself out of my comfort zone so I was in an advanced mindset when I start my second year. If anything, I couldn't wait for the first term to begin.

Eager to learn, eager to get stuck in and paint until my fingers fell off. Then suddenly remembering the theory based side was still just as important, I hated exams more than the next person. But that was the idea of the course, to be good at both the practical and the written.

First year had given me a chance to understand what it was all about, learn how to reference and not plagiarise anyone. Submitting my first essay was terrifying, I had no clue if I had done anything right but I managed to get myself a 2:1 so it can't have been that bad.

As I slide the paintbrush down my half completed easel, my phone flashes up out of the corner of my eye. Max's name stretching across the screen, my phone vibrating against the table loudly.

Placing down the brush and wiping my paint stained hands onto my trousers before picking it up.

"Hey," I say warmly.

"Oh my God Oliver, you'll never guess what just happened to me?" Max's voice rushes through the receiver.

My heart thumps inside my chest but his tone didn't seem scared or hurt, he sounded happy and excited. "What?" I say as I blink once.

"Honestly, this is the best news ever!" He shouts loudly causing me to smile. "Where are you? I want to tell you in person."

"I'm just on campus in the art block C," I say as I look around at the empty room.

"Okay I'll be about twenty minutes," he says like he was out of breath.

My head nods. "Okay," I breathe out. "I'm excited to hear."

"You should be," his voice radiates warmth. "I'm going to run now. I can't keep this in any longer."

A small laugh slips past my lips. "See you in a bit," I say before cutting off the call.

Placing my phone back down onto the table and glancing up at my painting, a million ideas racing through my head. What was he going to say?

Never had I heard Max so happy, normally he's a grumpy ass unless he's around me.

My knee begins to jog in anticipation, flicking my eyes over to the door every minute to check if he was here. Now I was beginning to get anxious, I hope that he actually is running and hasn't stopped to grab a coffee.