T H I R T Y - N I N E

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

MAX COSTELLO

PAST
NOVEMBER 2019

Falling into a job straight after University is most definitely one of the proudest things I have ever done, especially when I thought I'd barely graduate and I'd never get a proper job

Falling into a job straight after University is most definitely one of the proudest things I have ever done, especially when I thought I'd barely graduate and I'd never get a proper job. But after a month at the most amazing job, I finally restored faith in myself.

If I can retain a job whilst the employees still like me then I'm definitely doing something right at least and they have been loving my new ideas for the adaptation of my final year work. They've been helping to boost my talents by enhancing my original work into a professional piece.

Last Friday I went out with friends at work . Things got a little messy but I had such a good night. This Friday Oliver and I had agreed to see each other, it was only fair I'd take it in turns. But once Oliver felt comfortable I said he could pop by and meet my work friends, he just wasn't ready yet.

My feet climb up the stairs to Oliver's apartment, a bag of Mexican take out in one hand as I use the other to knock at his door loudly. I take a step back and watch as Jamie swings the door open.

"Hi," he says as he takes a glance down at the bag of food in my hand. "Oliver's not here."

"Oh," I blink once. "Where is he? We're meant to chill tonight."

"He's at uni still," Jamie's hand runs down the edge of the door. "He's been stressed this week about it, and I think he's in the studio."

I nod and take my phone out of my pocket. "Thanks Jamie," I say. "I'll head over there now."

"Cool, see you later." Jamie responds before shutting the door.

My eyes take one glance down at my phone as I scroll for Oliver's number before I take off down the street and towards the university. I raise my phone to my ear and listen to it ring out, then it cuts to voicemail.

I huff out a breath as I quickly punch out a text.

Max

You okay? Jamie said you're at uni still, I'm headed over there now

The walk towards campus wasn't far but I knew the food would be cold by the time I got there. Oliver still being at uni must mean that he's very busy and stressed. I knew how much he struggled with balancing his work life and his leisure.

He always put too much on his plate and never knew how to take a break or go to sleep. All he wanted to do was work and work until whatever he had started was perfect but we all know that sometimes it only makes it worse when we have no rest or breaks for energy.

Oliver truly was his worst enemy when it came to university work.

I knew where exactly he should be, the studio right at the back of the main painting department. It wasn't busy and that's why Oliver loved it so much, it was an older part of the building and all the edgy students liked to use the modern section.