T W E N T Y - S E V E N

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

OLIVER FLETCHER

PAST
JULY 2019

I wandered around the campus shop for a little too long, nothing was taking my fancy after my conversation with Max. My brain hurt, like someone had taken a hammer to my skull and left me damaged.

Before I left the store I reach over and grab a microwavable carbonara, not having the energy to buy ingredients to make anything right now.

Campus was dead tonight, even though it was a Thursday. Most people had gone home for the summer or left for good. Yet I felt like the only person who was still living in halls.

It felt fucking depressing.

Slowly I trudge my body back to my accommodation, my eyes attach themselves to a guy who was sat out on the steps up to the building. His blonde hair was swept back across his head, a cigarette between his fingers as he hunches over his knees.

I stop in front of him and watches as he flicks his green eyes up to me, a confused expressions cross his face as I stand in his light.

"Do you have another one of those?" My voice surprises me.

The guy gestures to his cigarette in his fingers and I nod. Gently he reaches into his pocket and opens up the fresh box, pulling one out and handing it to me.

"Thanks," I say as I take it and perch down next to him. "You have a lighter?"

He stifles a laugh and nods again, handing me the plastic blue lighter. I place the cigarette in my mouth and cup the end, like they do in the movies and press down on the tip of the lighter. It took me a few tries but after a while I manage to light it.

I take a drag and inhale the smoke, not expecting my throat to close up instantly and I cough loudly.

The guy laughs as he turns to look at me. "You ever smoked before?" He eyes me up and down, clearly amused.

"No," I huff out as I lower my head. "I just needed something to feel better."

He studies me for a second before nodding. "Same," he catches me by surprise. "But cigarettes aren't the answer, you need a shot of sambuca or tequila."

I purse my lips and look down to the cigarette in between my fingers, contemplating another toke but really I'd just be coughing my lungs up again.

"I'm Jamie," he offers first as I turn my attention back to him.

My lips force out a smile. "Oli." I nod once.

"Nice to meet you," he responds as he raises his cigarette up to his lips to take a puff. He still watches me, flicking his eyes over my face. "Are you okay?"

I was fully aware that I looked like a sack of shit. I'd barely managed to get changed into something decent.

"Honestly?" I sigh out. "No."

"Join the club," he laughs to himself as he looks down between his legs.

"What's wrong?" I question as I watch the cigarette burn in my hand.

Jamie sighs and looks up at the darkening sky. "Girls," he mumbles. "They ain't shit."

"Oh," I say quickly.

"You?" He turns his head to me.

"Boys," I respond. "They ain't shit."

Jamie cracks a smile and I do too, laughing at how pathetic this whole conversation was. "What did he do?" He raises an eyebrow at me.