T W E N T Y - F I V E

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

OLIVER FLETCHER

PAST
JUNE 2019

I waited for the ambulance to turn up to make sure that my mum was okay, her words broke me inside but I knew she wasn't okay, mentally

I waited for the ambulance to turn up to make sure that my mum was okay, her words broke me inside but I knew she wasn't okay, mentally. She was sad, depressed and barely getting through life.

Not wanting to believe what she said was true, maybe it was due to the extent of the medication she was taking, a cry for help, anything to get my attention.

Or maybe I was a bad son, a fucking bad son who doesn't see his struggling mother enough.

Fuck.

I wiped away my tears as I watched them pull my semi-unconscious mother out and into the back of the ambulance, they were telling me that she'll be okay but needed to be checked on.

Looking at her hurt me, I loved her, I've always loved her. But she just wanted to hurt me, turn everything on me to make me feel like how she was feeling.

My eyes clench as I choked out a pathetic sob, what the fuck happened?

They give me the details of the unit she would be taken to but I take off down the road after they leave, I didn't know what to think. My head pounded like someone had repeatedly punched me in the skull, I just needed someone to talk to. Someone to level me out.

Digging into my pocket as I sniffle, clicking at the screen and ringing Max's number instantly. I listen to it ring over and over until it goes straight to voicemail. "Fuck," I curse to myself. Continuing to wipe away my endless tears that stained my cheeks.

My fingers fumble to call him again. "Come on," I mumble as I bite down on my thumb. "Pick up, please pick up."

The line cuts and my heart stops beating for a second.

"Max?" I say instantly.

"No not Max," his voice sounded slow and I recognised it as Jeff, his old roommate.

"Is Max there?" My voice wobbles. "I really need him."

"He's too high to function right now," Jeff trails off before laughing. I could hear a few others chuckle and my breathing halts for a moment.

"Can you tell him that it's urgent?" I plead.

The phone pulls away as muffled voices echo through the receiver. Then I hear a glimpse of Max's voice. "No," he groans out like a child. "I don't want to talk to Oliver, hang up."

He sounded fucked, beyond fucked. But it still cut through my soul as I listen to the line go dead. My lips purse in an attempt to not let out an ugly cry, especially as I was headed towards the train station.