E I G H T

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

OLIVER FLETCHER

PAST
FEBRUARY 2019

I would be lying if I said I was ignoring all of my university work, stressed didn't even come close to how I was feeling. So I decided to cook some food, anything to take my mind off the essay that I should be writing.

The smell of tomato passata was wafting up into my nose from the frying pan, along with the mushrooms, peppers and onions. Considering there were only six people in our halls, the kitchen was relatively quiet.

Most people would whack in a microwave meal or chicken nuggets into the oven, I didn't blame them. I usually do the exact same but today something felt different, I wanted to be productive in a different form.

Max had text me saying that he had the worst day with classes, the pressure for his end of year projects was getting to him. So I invited him over, sounding like he needed some company right now.

Just as I begin to plate up with the tomato sauce, vegetables and spaghetti, topped with a sprinkling of parmesan. The front door to our flat is knocked and I instantly rush to answer it, feeling overwhelmed the second I set eyes on Max.

He's face looked glum but the second he sees me his eyes light up and that sends my heart straight into my stomach. "Hey handsome," he smirks towards me strolling straight into our kitchen.

"Hey," I smile as I shut the door behind him.

I watch as he shrugs off his jacket and drapes it over the back of one of the kitchen chairs. He turns to me suddenly and captures my cheeks between his cold hands, pressing multiple kisses to my lips.

"It's smelling good in here," he murmurs against me.

"Well I hope you're hungry," I grin up at him, pulling away from his hold.

Max lets out an almighty groan. "I'm fucking starving," he lets out.

I peek over my shoulder and smile, picking up both the plates and turning around to him. Placing our dinner down onto the table in front of him, his eyes looking down to the food and then back up to me.

"Oh God, Oliver," he says with a long exhale. "You are too good to me."

"Sit," I beckon to the chair his jacket was sitting on.

Max didn't have to be told twice, he pulls out the chair almost instantly and sits down. I pass him a fork and he instantly digs into the food, I can't help but smile. Sometimes it's the little things to help improve someone's mood.

"So how was your day?" I question as I dig my fork straight through a mushroom.

His eyes look up at me as he chews on the pasta. "Honestly, it's not even worth talking about." He mumbles out.

"You sure?"

He sighs and pushes back into his chair. "My art professor is just being a dick, not listening to a word I say about my final project. It's like he's trying to push his ideas onto me, he's just doing my fucking head in."

My lips frown. "That's shit," I tell him quietly. "Don't listen to him if he's clouding your vision, go with what you want."

Max looks up at me and nods. "I know," he says. "I just hate not being listened to."

"It's okay," I reach out to grip onto his wrist. "We don't have to discuss it anymore, I just wanted to make sure that you were okay."

The corners of his lips twitch up at me, his fork twiddling in between his plate. "I'm okay now I'm here," he says gently.