T E N

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

OLIVER FLETCHER

PAST
MARCH 2019

"Max you should be studying, not making nachos," I grumble as I look down to him sprinkling salsa and cheese across tortilla chips.

He turns to me with a smile. "A study snack is what it is," he says with a cheeky wink.

"I feel like I've distracted you the whole of this week and here we are, making food and not studying. Your exam is in like three hours." I mumble as I check the time on my phone.

"Oliver," he shakes his head towards me. "It's fine honestly, I'm not panicking. You shouldn't be either."

I chew on my lip as I watch him take the nachos and place them into the oven for fifteen minutes. "This is your final year Max, you should be studying a lot and spending time at the library. I feel like I'm such a big distraction for you."

"Stop," Max shakes his head again as he holds onto my shoulders. "Trust me, I know enough to do well. I've got loads of other work playing in the back of my mind too, it's okay. I will do well. I promise."

"Okay," I sigh in defeat.

"I'll clear up and then you can test me on some stuff once we've eaten and that," he suggests and I instantly nod my head towards him.

"Sounds good," I smile as I walk back towards his room.

My eyes look down to all his notes spread out across his desk, his messy handwriting on some little cards with descriptions. I smile down at them, Max was trying really hard, I knew that but I know he can do so well and sometimes they need a little push to exceed.

A vibration rings against my ass as I take my phone out of my pocket and look down to the caller ID.

"Hey mum," I smile as I raise the phone to my ear.

"Oh Oli," her voice shakes and my heart skips a beat. "I've done something awful."

"W-What do you mean?" I ask quickly.

She cries down the phone and my stomach flips at the silence.

"Mum?!" I shout at her. "What is it?"

"I've taken an overdose Oli," she sobs, her voice almost inaudible.

"What?" My head spins at her words. "Fuck mum, have you called an ambulance?"

"Yes," she nods.

"What have you taken?" I demand. The line goes silent for a couple of seconds. "Mum!"

"Some sleeping tablets and some ibuprofen, I don't know Oli," she cries suddenly. "Whatever the fuck I had in the cupboard."

Max's door swings open as he watches me stand there in the middle of his room, narrowed eyebrows towards me as he watches my struck expression.

"Okay," I say as my hands shake. "Well I'll be right over okay? Don't take any more, wait until the ambulance comes and I'll be right there."

My mum's voice quivers as I shut off the call and turn to Max suddenly.

"What's going on?" He questions sounding confused.

"My mum, she's had an overdose and I need to get over to hers right now." I say quickly, my words all jumbling into one.

"Fuck Oliver, how you getting there?" He asks as he takes a step closer.

"Train, I need to leave now." I pace up and down in his room, my eyes raising with tears. The shock only just creeping up inside my body now.