T W E N T Y - S I X

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

OLIVER FLETCHER

PAST
JULY 2019

A day or two had passed but I had lost count, I didn't want to do anything but hide in my bed

A day or two had passed but I had lost count, I didn't want to do anything but hide in my bed. I couldn't bear facing my mother again or going to my dad's house, everything felt too raw. Even the thought of seeing Max made me feel sick, I just wanted to be alone.

My phone rang continuously, Max didn't give up but I refused to answer. He came to my dorm a couple of times and begged for me to come out but I didn't, I said nothing at all but cry.

Hours felt like days, my sadness took over my body as did my anxiety. Crushing every fibre inside of my body and making me feel like shit, no one gave a crap about me. I was no one, nothing to anyone.

Max was right, I had no friends.

Why didn't I have any friends?

Because I wanted to spend all my time with Max and no one else, I idolised him, adored him and didn't want to miss a second without him. Maybe I'm the one to blame, at the start of this year I was close with Ruby and I could have made friends with people in my flat.

Yet Max was all I could think about.

At some point in the week I found myself starving, having forgotten the last time that I actually ate a substantial meal. As down and grumpy as I was, I knew I still needed to eat.

I pull on the baggiest hoodie that I own and shove up the hood, sliding my feet into the nearest trainers and exiting my dorm room. Praying that the campus shop was still open so I could at least get some kind of microwave meal, I hadn't done a food shop in over a week.

There would be nothing in the fridge.

As I reach the bottom of the building I sigh and drag my body across campus, keeping my eyes down to the floor but being careful not to bump into anyone.

Campus was fairly quiet as most people had gone home for the summer, yet here I was moping around in my bed.

I glance up once as I notice the campus shop in the distance, grateful that it was a peaceful trip and I could get back in one piece.

As I reach the steps up to the shop a hand grabs onto my shoulder suddenly, making my heart drop into my stomach as I refuse to look up.

"Oliver," Max's voice rings in my ears. "You've scared the shit out of me."

His voice sounded hard and frustrated but I still couldn't meet his eyes.

"Why have you been ignoring me?"

My mouth falls open as I open my eyes up to him, disbelief covering my face. I flick my eyes between his, feeling the heaviness of my bags pull down my cheeks. His expression was almost unreadable, like he was confused.