T H I R T Y - S E V E N

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

MAX COSTELLO

PAST
SEPTEMBER 2019

I am not one to feel nervous very often but right now, I was feeling all nerves right down to my core

I am not one to feel nervous very often but right now, I was feeling all nerves right down to my core. It's probably because I actually care about the job I have been offered, it's an amazing opportunity to get into the industry of graphic design and strip comic art.

This was an offer I could not fuck up, no matter how laidback I really was. This shit was real and could set me up for a bright future.

When I first applied for UAL I did it because I felt like I had nothing else to do. Being an artist straight off the bat is nearly impossible unless you already had a following or a lucky break. I had neither so going to art school was the next best thing.

In a way I wanted it to guide me into realising what I wanted to do with my life. I had always enjoyed doodling, making stupid animations and adapting graphics of books and movies. I just never realised that I could actually make a career out of it.

This was my big break because I finally understood that my work was worthy. With the help of Oliver, I really believed that my work was amazing because it is amazing. I wouldn't have bagged this job if they thought I was shit or even average, to them I was different and unique. That's all the convincing I need.

Oliver started his first week back at university for second year this week and I start my brand new beginning in something I love. Timing could not be better for the both of us.

The offices were situated in central London which was ideal for me, I was planning on moving out with my old house mate to a nearby flat which would make the commute so much easier. But staying on his parents sofa would have to do for the moment.

I had dressed semi-smart for my first day, not that I really owned any super smart clothes but at least I gave it a go. I found a half zip black fleece to match a pair of black jeans and white trainers.

As I approached the front desk my eyes fall upon the guy sat behind a computer, tapping away at the keyboard. "Hi," I say to get his attention.

"Hi," he grins back. "Welcome to The Virtual World. How can I help you?"

"It's my first day," I nod. "In the creative graphics department."

His eyes light up as he nods. "Yes..." he says as he looks down at a sticky note that was attached to his desk. "You are Max, correct?"

"Yes, that's me." I nod once.

"I will let Jodie know that you are here right away," he says as he clicks at the keyboard instantly.

"Thank you," I tell him gratefully.

"Have a great first day," he says as his eyes peer over his computer. "You can wait over there for Jodie."