F I F T E E N

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

OLIVER FLETCHER

PAST
APRIL 2019

Now that the clocks had changed, the nights begun to get lighter which meant that summer was approaching. The sunlight has an effect on me, sometimes I think that I could have seasonal affective disorder but I reckon most people who live in the UK do.

There is nothing more depressing than getting up in the dark and going to school, college, university or your job when it's still pitch black outside. Then coming home when all you can see is the light from the streetlamps, flooding the streets as you look over your shoulder a million times.

It was almost eight o'clock on a Thursday night when I pack up my belongings from the art studio and throw my belongings over my shoulder. Digging my phone out of my pocket and ringing Max, listening to the line ring out before it cuts to his voicemail

"Hey it's Max, leave a message or don't, I don't care." His pre-recorded voice mumbles out before the beep starts.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes with a small smile at his voicemail recording.

"Hey it's me," I exhale. "I could just text you but I wanted to hear your voice. I left my sketch book over at yours and I need it tomorrow for class. I'm just going to pop by now to collect it, if you're not home then I'll just take the spare key. See you."

Quickly cutting off the call as I exit campus and take the short walk to Max's house, the sky was only just turning into a dark blue. The clouds were still evident in the sky but tinted a baby blue, the air was still and the atmosphere was fresh.

Feeling content, a warm sensation buzzing around my stomach as I see Max's apartment in the distance. I raise my hand to the door, not even bothering to ring the doorbell as I already knew that it was broken.

After a few moments I kick over the plastic plant pot with my foot and remove the key from the floor, jamming it into the door and walking into their house.

"Hello?" I shout out as a dim sound of music rumbles through the house. "Max?"

I shut the door behind me and poke my head through their hall, the music getting somewhat louder. Walking down the corridor to their living room that was situated at the back of their house and facing their garden.

"Max?" I call out again as I push my hand onto the door.

My eyes settle on Max and one of his house mates sitting around the table, a line of white powder sat on the glass as Max leans forward with a paper note and sniff it harshly.

His roommate who I remembered as Jeff was staring back at me, a slight horrific look on his face.

Max's eyes look up and he opens his mouth. "Oliver," he says as he wipes his nose with his left hand.

"Urmmm I'm gonna go to bed," Jeff dismisses himself, not moving out of the door way for him so he slides in beside the wall.

Max avoids my gaze as I stare back at him in shock. "What the fuck is going on?" I say, my voice raising slightly.

"It's just a bit of coke," he tries to brush off.

I open my mouth in shock. "Just a bit of coke?" I repeat. "When did you become a recreational drug user?"

Max blinks back at me as he shakes his head and stands from the sofa. "I'm not a recreational drug user, it's just a bit of fun Oliver. I'm allowed to have fun."