LXXII. MAXINE

MAXINE!

AUGUST 1978

AUGUST 1978

• • • •

Maxine pushed her food around her plate, as she sat with her family at dinner, barely listening to their conversation, her head only perking up at the sound of the friend's name.

"What?" The girl asked.

"I was just saying it's a shame about Holland and Regulus," Her mother - Marianne - told her, "No-one should be forced into a union to prove their loyalty."

Maxine nodded in agreement, "I know."

"It's a good thing your looking out for her," Lucinda told her younger sister, "She needs someone right now."

"I must say, it was a lovey wedding, though." Richard said, his wife and children agreeing.

"Holland looked very pretty." Emmett added, making his family chuckle.

"Yes," Lucinda nodded in agreement with her youngest sibling, "Yes she did."

"Their honeymoon's tomorrow," Maxine said, "I had to pack for them this morning because they have no idea where they're going. Half of Holland's luggage is just books."

"Why don't they know?" Marianne asked.

The middle child shrugged, "I guess Larissa just finds the whole concept amusing."

"It's just so sad that she had to break up with that Lupin boy," Lucinda frowned, "I mean, from what you said, they were the perfect couple. Everyone deserves to love who they want. No matter who they are."

Maxine bit her lip, before putting her fork down and looking up at her family, "There's something I need to tell you all. About me."

***

Maxine let out a deep breath, before knocking on the door in front of her, doing everything in her power to not run away. The door swung open and the redhead's breath hitched.

"Hi." She greeted the person in front of her.

"Hey." Bronwyn said, looking sceptically at her old best friend.

"Can we talk?" The older girl asked.

Bronwyn stepped aside, "Come in," She said, leading Maxine into her flat, "Do you want anything to dri-?"

"I'm in love with you."

Bronwyn stared at her, "What?"

"I'm in love with you," Maxine repeated, looking the girl in the eyes, "And I have been since fourth year, but I was too late to realise. And now you're with McKinnon and you're happy and I'm really happy for you. It's just, I've been with Holland the past eight months, telling her to try and let go when I was too much of a coward to that myself. I missed my chance. And I know that now. But I just need to tell you."

Bronwyn looked at the redhead, taking all of the information in, before licking her lips and saying, "You know, if you had figured that out back in sixth year, I would've said I love you too."

"Really?"

"I'm surprised Holland didn't tell you."

"She's good at keeping our secrets."

"Yeah," Bronwyn nodded, "She is.

"Well, I'm letting you go and move on. I hope you and Marlene are really happy together. i mean that," Maxine said, "I just know how much Holland wanted to say to Remus and how much it ate her up inside and needed to tell you."

"Well. Thank you," Bronwyn smiles, "It's always nice when someone tells you they love you."

Maxine laughed, "Yeah."

They stood in silence for a moment.

"I'd really like us to be friends again." The older girl said.

Bronwyn nodded, "Me too. Actually, Marlene, Lily and Margaret will be here soon. Would you like to meet them?"

Maxine grinned, "I'd love to."