when we we're young - genma s.

——————————————————————

in which, it was just like a movie. just like a song.

angst

warnings : major character death

——————————————————————

Y/N L/N, THE MOST LOVED SHINOBI IN THE LEAF VILLAGE. she was kind hearted, sweet, and smiled all the time. the only issue, she was always late. weather that be by 3 seconds or 3 hours, she was late.

but she was genma shiranui's home. years of knowing her turned into years of dating her quickly. but, of course, their jobs as shinobi never failed to get in the way.

"let's go! let's go! let's go!" she squealed, dragging genma along with her through the woods.

she twirled and spun around; genma staring at her with pure adoration. her hair flying around her every time she spun, her eyes twinkling in the moonlight, and her skin glowing.

"i'm coming jeez." he joked, laughing along with her before they finally arrived at their go too place.

they enjoyed the silence for a few seconds, admiring the twinkling ocean blue water before y/n spoke.

"i have a 3 year mission." she stated, a sigh leaving her lips as genma took a hold of her hand.

"where?" he asked lowly, refusing to make eye contact.

"sound village. they want me to go undercover. but, i don't leave until tom-" she was cut off by him taking out his usual toothpick and giving her a kiss.

"great, let's go do all our favorite things now." he smiled before throwing her over his shoulder.

"genma!" she laughed, playfully kicking her legs as they walked back through the town; doing everything they loved.

the last thing they did was take a picture which he framed and sat on his nightstand with the many other ones he already had.

"god, i wanna grow old with you." he whispered to her, even though she was already sleep beside him. he gnawed his lip anxiously, before deciding he'd try to get some sleep as well.

-

"3 years and 6 months, you think she's dead?" hayate asked before coughing as he picked up the picture frame of genma and y/n; taken 3 years ago today.

"no. i know my girls stronger than that." genma replied, putting on his shinobi headband before leaving his house with his friend in tow.

he had kept telling himself that. she was still alive. she was okay. she'd come back soon.

kotetsu kept telling him to give up. izumo kept telling him to keep hope. hayate kept reminding him of her. and kakashi would remind him how strong she was.

it didn't matter in the end, everyone knew she was gone. even genma knew he was holding onto false hope.

but when he passed by a girl who looked like her, his instincts acted faster than his mind. quickly grabbing the girls arm as she turned around with hum; he opened his mouth but nothing was coming out.

"genma!" she exclaimed, quickly hugging the boy and almost tackling him to the ground. "it's been so long, look at how grown up you've gotten!"

her hair was shorter than he remembered, her eyes no longer held a happy sparkle and she looked tired. but nonetheless, she kept the same happy-go-lucky smile.

"hayate! helloooo!" she hummed, looking at the sick boy who nodded slowly at her before fake coughing.

"oh! i have a mission, but i will be back in an hour or so. you remember where my house is right?" he asked quickly, as he snapped out of his trance.

"of course silly!"

-

"i knew you'd be here." genma hummed, looking down at the girl who was kneeling at the grass to look into the lake.

"wow we've gotten old." she chuckled sadly, looking at the eye bags that grew more prominent.

"i remember i used to never want to grow up." genma chuckled, taking a seat beside her.

"what happened to us?" she whispered.

"time. distance. everyone thought you were dead."

"all over a stupid mission that failed." she scoffed. "i wasted almost 4 years for a defect."

"wanna make up for lost time?" he asked, looking over at the girl he's always loved.

"psh, is this even a question?" she laughed, genuinely. a genuine smile creasing her features as she looked at her lover.

"this reminds me of when we were young, dont ya think?" she asked, as genma slowly nodded.

"yeah."

-

"wheres y/n?" genma asked frantically, looking around to see if he noticed her. she was just there.

"we don't have time for that." kakashi exclaimed. "she's strong, she'll-"

"no," genma stated quickly, cutting the silver haired male off. "no, i can feel it. it's off."

"she's constantly late, she's probably-" kakashi tried to reason only for genma to run off.

of course, genma knew he shouldn't just be running off at times of war- especially during a battle but y/n was important. and will always be.

he found her refusing to take help from a medical assistant. blood ran from her mouth as she held a lazy smile; her eyes barely open.

out of breath, he used the last of his strength to get to her.

"what're you doing?" he asked, looking down at her as her smile widened slowly but surely. "take the assistance." he pushed, sitting down beside her.

"gen-ma!" she sounded out. "no need. i'll die shortly. don't waste your chakra on me. i kinda wanna go out with honor anyway."

"this isn't a joking matter." genma pushed, looking at the medic before nodding at her. she sighed, trying once more to heal the dying girl before y/n hit her hands away.

"she's been doing this for the past 10 minutes." the medic muttered.

"baby, you've gotta-" genma cut himself short when he felt her grab his hand.

"let me go." she whispered, slowly closing her eyes with a soft smile.

"fuck," genma muttered to himself. the medic looked at him as he just nodded. it was time. "go heal someone else."

she nodded, taking his orders as he refused to leave his girlfriend's body- especially while she was still breathing little by little.

-

"years later and i still can't get over you." genma chuckled to himself as he looked at the water. "i always find it ironic how i didn't die in that battle as well."

"he's been talking to that lake for the past 5 years.." kotetsu muttered, looking at his friend as they stood behind a bush out of earshot of the lake.

"i know, i think it's time he lets it go." izumo exclaimed.

"give him a little more time to grieve." kakashi exclaimed. "after a while, he'll get over it."

genma, however, felt as if he was going crazy. hallucinating even. a small girl, around 5, that resembled both genma and y/n and his girlfriend standing on top of the water in front of him.

"i get why you wanted me to let you go, huh?" he chuckled sadly, before breaking down.

"i wish we could go back to when we were young. i would've never even let you go on that stupid mission."

"i wish this was just some horror movie, or sad song." he muttered, staring at the smaller girl who waved with a bright smile.