an idiot - ray.

——————————————————————

in which, she was his idiot

fluff / angst

——————————————————————

Y/N POPPED HER HEAD FROM THE TREE ray sat under, looking over at her bestfriend before letting out a 'boo!'

his eyes never lifted from the book he read as she fell straight on her head to the ground. he chuckled shortly as she pouted and rubbed her now hurt head.

"you're such an idiot." he joked, finally looking at her as she crossed her arms.

"you're so mean to me." she pouted as ray reached over and patted her head.

"you're okay." he hummed, going back to his book.

"what're you reading?" she asked, moving closer to sit beside the boy.

"some book i found in the library." he shrugged, looking at the time. "why do you never play tag?"

"i don't like the running." she hummed, leaning her head on the raven-haired boys shoulder before falling asleep as he hummed a certain tune.

"tch, you always do this." he huffed, moving around so the both of them would be comfortable.

-

"play tag with us!" emma beamed, looking at the girl who had just walked outside with isabella.

"no thank you." y/n chuckled, walking over before sitting down beside ray per usual under their tree. "running's not my forte."

"sleeping is." ray mumbled, looking at the bags under the girls eyes as she yawned.

"yes." she agreed, getting comfortable as she laid her head on his shoulder; ready to sleep.

"sleeping this much can't be healthy." norman hummed, looking down at them as he finally walked over.

"dont you have some tag to play." she rebutdtaled as emma hummed.

"no, i think norman has a point. why don't you both play this round!" emma exclaimed, holding her hands out.

"why do i have to be dragged into this?" ray muttered, closing his book before starting his watch. "i guess i'll do it."

y/n whined, not wanting to play an endless game of tag- especially with norman being it. sadly, she was dragged by ray towards the woods before time started.

"if you just hide in a tree like always, norman will get you." ray hummed, dragging the girl behind him as she loosely held onto his hand.

"i'm fine with that." she huffed, as ray rolled his eyes.

"what happened to competitive you? we used to see who could read the most books remember?" ray whispered as they heard foot steps get closer.

"i don't know, i just like to sleep nowadays." she shrugged, whispering back before norman came out of literal thin air; tagging her.

-

"i'm next birthday wise." y/n sighed, looking around the infirmary. "would she even let out a sick girl?"

it was night, everyone should've been sleep; but she knew ray wasn't. she coughed as she got up from the bed and headed towards the kitchen to make small sandwiches.

she couldn't eat, but she knew ray wasn't because of norman. opening the door to the library she walked in and headed towards the table he sat on.

"what're you doing here?" he groaned, watching as she weakly lifted herself on the table.

"you've gotta eat." she huffed, handing the plate over to him to which he softly hit her hand away.

"not hungry." he mumbled, going back to his book.

"well- i'm not leaving until you do." she huffed determinedly. even for a sick girl, she was still stubborn.

she moved to sit beside her beloved best friend, resting her head on his shoulder and after about three hours; falling asleep as she hummed the certain tone ray usually hummed to her.

"an idiot." ray chuckled at her soft snores before picking up a sandwich she prepared and eating it.

-

"you're running away with them." ray exclaimed as he walked into the infirmary, looking at the sick girl who laid in bed.

"i just wanna sleep." she huffed, turning over in bed as ray rolled his eyes.

"you're not running away right now." the boy rebutdtaled. "but you are soon, so get up."

"why do you keep saying 'you, you, you, you, you.' what about you, ray? you're coming too, right?" she mumbled into the pillow as ray's gaze softened.

"yeah," he muttered. "now hurry up."

"ugh! will you just rest for a few minutes!" she groaned, pulling ray down to which he yelped before landing on the soft bed beside her. "sleep, will you?"

"but you-"

"when we face facts i'll either die here anyway or get sold off since i'm next. just sleep for a little; it's the best getaway." she mumbled, waving her hand around as her eyes closed.

"you're such an idiot." ray mumbled after a few minutes of realizing she was actually self aware.

ever since he knew her he just assumed she was this bookworm that liked to sleep a lot and stay in trees but, as he laid there he realized he didn't know her as well as he thought.

-

"the both of you realize, even if i do run with you. i'll die anyway." y/n said, sitting in a butterfly position as her friends argued about leaving.

she tilted her head to the side as ray stopped everything. that didn't hit him until she stated it. she'd been in the infirmary for so long, he started to forget she was actually sick.

"don't say stuff like that!" emma and ray both exclaimed, scoffing as y/n just shrugged.

"it's the truth. we leave, then what? i die in the woods thats out there? who's to even say i can climb over the wall without kicking the bucket?" she half-joked, chuckling at the end.

she'd come to terms with her destiny but it wasn't feeling right in ray's eyes.

"idiot, don't say stuff like that. you're going to get over the wall, and you're going to be fine." ray exclaimed, taking a deep breath to calm down before he flickered her forehead.

y/n sighed, putting her arm around emma and ray to pull them closer as she smiled.

"i'll be okay here. you're leaving the youngest ones right? why don't i stay with them and just leave when you two come back? it gives me time to get better and the littlest ones will still have someone they know to look after them." she hummed, nodding at her decision- nothing would change her mind.

"are you dumb?" ray stated. "i'm starting to think you're really an idiot. she'll give you away to those demons before you can get better."

"no she won't. she only gives best quality. if i'm sick, i'm not of best quality anymore."

"you're insane." ray spat.

"no. i think she has a point." emma butted in, taking a deep breath as she came to the conclusion ray wouldnt like. "she has to stay."

"what?!" ray yelled, moving away from the hug.

"think about it; you, yourself said we couldn't take everyone." emma sighed.

"i meant the kids, not my best friend!" ray yelled. "this is stupid, you're coming with us."

y/n laughed at his outburst, the first one she's seen in a while. emma and ray blinked at her repeatedly as her laughing didn't stop; to the point tears ran down her face.

"i have faith you guys will come back for me, and when you do; i'll be here. alive and better." she laughed, watching as emma and ray cried before hugging her.