Chapter 8: Official Meeting

Helena hated him dragging her behind him... hated his anger and force on her... she just wanted to avoid seeing this man... this angry man... why was he so bitter and angry anyways.. She was thinking as she forcefully pulled her wrist from his hand.
Helena spoke so calmly when he looked behind at her steady face: Mr Donavan if you please, you don't need to drag me... all you need is to ask nicely and i will join you.
Suddenly her words died on her lips as he moved too close to her looking deeply in her eyes. He grew a wicked smile as he saw how her angry voice died at his look. He loved the idea of having power on her like the rest of the world! Why she thinks herself different?
His smile infuriated her: whatever we wanted to discuss last night is no longer offered today... if you excuse me...
She turned to leave his office when he took her hand harshly: you are under my roof now, you came here with your own free will, but you don't go until I say.
Mrs. Smith came to the office and looked puzzled at how they both looked so angry at each other
Mrs. Smith: Helena dear... you seemed to be in need of the money & you Dalton darling; you promised to give it a try.

They both looked less angry at what the lady calmly said
Helena: Mrs. Smith I'm really grateful you are trying to help but I didn't expect we fall apart even before starting any discussions
Helena then touched her temples with her fingers at a stroke of headache, seems the pain was shown on her face as he took her arm and made her sit.
Dalton: if you know your limits, my lady, maybe you'd then stop being so irrational... Mrs. Smith can you order us more coffee please.
She hated him; he said she's being irrational? However, she loved the coffee idea.
When they were alone in the room, Dalton spoke more calmly: why do you want to marry for money
She looked so shocked at him; her eyes were gathering tears that froze out of anger: how did you understand it this way?
Dalton saw her pain but tried to ignore it: oh please spare me the drama, the crying, and the family tragedy stories.
Helena never felt helpless or hurt... her voice came weak but stable: Mr Donavan, marriage was never into the equation. It was only offered when Mrs. Smith mentioned the proposal
Mrs. Smith came into the room at her statement: it's true Dalton... i wanted you to meet her
Helena felt so exposed and there was this unstoppable anger in her: and if it's a competition of who's going to hurt the other one more; then equally why do you want to pay someone to marry you!
Mrs. Smith & Dalton looked equally in disbelief at her courage and unbelievable challenge to him
Mrs. Smith put her hand on her mouth surprised: oh Jesus Christ Helena
Helena: Mrs. Smith please... can you just get me out of here... you promised to arrange my transportation... can I please leave now... seems the more I stay the situation will only be aggravated!
Dalton was still trying to figure out this extraordinary young lady... from where she has this courage... quick thinking... witty head... he finally said: what was the amount you wanted when Mrs. Smith made the proposal?
Helena didn't answer she was sure he only wanted to humiliate her.
Mrs. Smith: Three hundred fifty pounds
Dalton stood in silence looking at her; she was pretty with a beautiful figure... Maria brought the coffee when Helena took her cup and started sipping in silence...
Dalton: it's a huge amount considering...
Helena was furious as he checked her out again!
He continued coldly: I will pay you but I want to know what it is all about
Helena's heart jumped at the idea of him paying the money for her father: I thought you said no family tragedies!! Anyhow, it's nothing I want to share with you.
Dalton: Mrs. Smith you can arrange for the marriage in the small chapel... I don't want family... don't want her embarrassing me with her lake of connections and family status
Helena looked at him in disbelief: Mr Donavan if you please... just to make sure you know what you're about to get yourself into... I expect total respect so I can respect you back... I expect consideration and won't ever be talked to or looked down upon... do we have an agreement based on this?
Dalton looked so amused twisting her words as he approached touching one of her hair curls looking deep into her surprised eyes: I will look down at you in bed when I take you under me... naturally, i will.
Mrs. Smith didn't hear what he said; but noticed Helena's cheeks blushing while her mouth fell open
Mrs. Smith: Dalton darling what about her money, you pay her upon marriage, right?
Dalton left the room fast as he was starting to melt at her eyes and the idea of her under him: yes, payment will be done via my lawyer.