Chapter 49: The Prayer

She went to her room and washed her face as she kneeled praying beside her bed...
Dalton came and kneeled beside her and made a short prayer as he asked God to show him what Helena means to him when his heart is still closed on Mary.

He smiled as she looked at him and took her hand to stand and slowly kissed her.
It was the first kiss since the cottage: I've missed you Helena... I've missed us.

She wished she could tell him that she missed and needed him much more, but what's the use? He doesn't want her, she knew... he wanted Mary, wherever she is.

He felt her sadness and only kept hugging her when Maria came knocking giving her a letter from Auntie Victoria.

Dalton sat as he watched her face when she opened and read the letter:
Helena Sweetheart,
Meeting at the prison is confirmed tomorrow midday. Huge help is promised.
Come to see me once all this is done
Love to you & Dalton
Victoria

Helena was a little relieved and a small smile was drawn on her face... Dalton's heart opened up at her, as if the sun raised once more in the room.

He opened his arms as he stood beside her: Seems good news are jumping out of the letter? Can I have a real hug now? Not as cold...
Before he finished, Helena threw herself into his arms when he wrapped her so close and kissed her hair. He moved her chin up and kissed her as she was melting in his kiss.
He slowly reached for her hand opening it, he put a pile of money into her hand when she was still trying to open her eyes.
Helena: what's this money?
Dalton: There's no way Johnson is back on time... i only wanted to punish him for his stupidities with you. That's the money for tomorrow, is it enough? I wanted to give you more, just in case you needed
Helena felt that the pile was huge: how much is that?
Dalton: five hundred pounds and you will tell me if you needed more
Helena was so surprised: no Dalton... I will only take the rest of the agreed amount not a cent more
Dalton saw her stubbornness growing: stop sweetheart please... keep it just to make me happy. Can't you just do that?
Helena wouldn't take more and returned the extra immediately, Dalton argued once again: alright you stubborn; can you just keep it till you come back tomorrow, it will make me feel better that if needed you can still manage.
Helena thought about it: but I will return them the minute I'm back.
He nodded with a smile: one more thing. Do you need me to join you?
Helena didn't know how to tell him that she's going to the prison and had no idea how much would that further damage their already unstable fragile connection: next time Dalton... if everything goes as I'm praying... but it means the world to me you asked.
He kissed her head hugging her softly.

Helena went down and sent a note to Jimmy to be sent with the night carriage so he'd meet her at the prison tomorrow and send her a horse to move very early; she was shy to ask Dalton after all what he did already.

Helena's heart was suddenly filled with hope and she kept praying and smiling afterwards.

At dinner, he couldn't stop himself from holding her hand all the time. He played piano for her while he seated her beside him... he'd turn and kiss her softly every little while, as he played a beautiful tune.

He asked her if she want to have a walk or if they go to their room and rest?
She smiled saying resting is a good idea... his eyes shined as he took her hand, opened it and kissed her palm then her fingers, biting one with his front teeth making her heart drop, at the signal of his desire.

In their bedroom he whispered softly in her ears that he needed her as she too told him that she missed him... he made sweet love to her and they took their time to fully settle their hunger for each other before laying completely breathless with her body engulfed in his.

She closed her eyes fighting her need to inform him that she loves him and doesn't want them to be cold to each other like the previous three nights ever again, but she couldn't.

Sleep disappeared, she was still rolling in bed when she got hit by the anticipation of tomorrow and what might happen... she was praying for a miracle.

In the middle of the night, she was still sleepless when he pulled her closer whispering: I love you... so much
Helena rolled facing him: Dalton??
He opened his eyes suddenly alarmed, but then rolled away from her: close your eyes Helena.
Helena closed her eyes with so much happiness... he really loves her, he finally said it!