Chapter 10: The Deal

It wasn't long before she felt someone sitting beside her on the bench she raised her head and saw Dalton. He was sitting cross-legged looking at her arrogantly. She dried her tears, froze any emotions from her face, and sat with her legs and arms crossed in full defiance to him. He looked amused watching her take control of herself that way: are you done crying
Helena, very calmly: I cannot see how that is any of your concern?
Dalton, being so impatient: if you will be my wife, you will have to stop challenging me with every sentence... you must know by now, you will only get yourself hurt, and nothing will affect me in any way.
Helena tried to put her last statement knowing that she blew her chances to get the money from this man: if I was ever going to be your wife; you should have known by now that if you want respect you will address me with respect, if you will pick a fight I will fight back more fiercely, if you will speak logically I will answer with the same level of logic, and that i will never be your punching bag!
He was dying to ask her where she learned to speak like this... she was speaking like men... what logic she meant.
Dalton: Obviously, you have strong reasons to get going with this deal?
Helena interrupted: we both have strong reasons, and it's a marriage.
He looked angrily at her: I don't have reasons, you go and I find someone else. At least she will be less difficult and less stubborn
Helena impatiently: fine, I will leave then. For a moment, i thought you are a bit better than those unsecured men who would be happy with a simple-minded obedient wife, easily controlling her like a chess pawn. On the other hand, maybe you are just one of these weak men, i couldn't care the least!
Dalton looked so surprised at her face changing from firm and hard to suddenly sorry and apologetic while he was still looking in disbelief at what she said.
She looked sorry putting her fingers on her lips: I'm sorry... I don't know why I said these unkind words, it's very wrong... I guess I was too angry and it clouded my judgment... there's nothing wrong with obedient wives as long as they are happy... and i had no right to call you unsecured ... or weak!
She stood as he was resting his back stretching his both elbows on the back of the bench; she slightly bowed her head politely as she moved away: bye Mr Donavan.
He stood taking her arm and stopped her: seems I push you out of your limits!?
Helena admittedly: you do... and it's exhausting... good day Mr Donavan
Dalton grabbed her arm again: where you think you're going Mrs. Donavan?
Helena getting annoyed at him: certainly, away from you... what? Why did you call me that?
Dalton: We are getting married... you get the money... I will not provoke you and you will not define me.
He took her hand and lightly kissed her fingers then he left her and went into the house... she saw him standing in the hallway, speaking to Mrs. Smith who suddenly hugged him while he was trying to rid her arms and they both looked at her direction.