Chapter 11: Wedding Shopping

Dalton disappeared inside the huge palace while Mrs. Smith came running to Helena and kissed her cheek: I'm so happy you worked it out with him. He said we go buy the wedding dress and get you ready for tomorrow
Helena's jaw dropped open: tomorrow?
Mrs. Smith: yes... Priest and chapel will be notified and Dalton doesn't want to wait for any of the family... only his mother will know immediately.
Helena nodded: when does she arrive? But does he want our marriage to be hidden?
Mr Smith: no no my child... his family is very big but they live away in different part of the country... it will take ages to inform them and arrange a wedding.
Helena not caring much: I see... and his mother?
Mrs. Smith: Mrs. Donavan lives in here. It's just you didn't meet her last night. She will meet you tonight... Come now my child, we have to go buy things for you.
Helena remembered that she doesn't even have her clothes: but I need to return home and bring my clothes. I didn't have the chance to.
Mrs. Smith: most probably they won't be fit for your new status my dear. Dalton asked we buy you dresses, shoes and nightclothes
The lady looked at Helena with a wink and burst into laughter.

The carriage took them to the shop Mrs. Smith suggested and Helena found the things very modest compared to what she owned at home, but she didn't even want to argue or tell her it would have been easier to get her wardrobe from home... This lady & apparently Mr Donavan were convinced she came from a simpler & modest background, which again Helena didn't care at all to correct.
She only thought of one thing, she wants the money for her papa and mama and she wants this nightmare to be over.
Mrs. Smith's choices were very basic and colors for her were black, gray & brown. Helena hated them, she eventually convinced her to pick different dresses; light blue, olive, yellow, rose & dark red. For Helena they looked alive & near the ones at home. She chose also a black sleeveless nightgown with a lace robe like the one her Mama had. She couldn't mistake the surprised look in the shop-owner and Mrs. Smith's faces
Helena: well... you don't like it?
Mrs. Smith: i... i don't know Helena... you think it's appropriate??
Helena was puzzled but didn't want to ask: then we leave it... you pick another one...
Mrs. Smith: i guess we keep it but the other one should be with long sleeves and not black.
Again, Helena didn't care much as the ladies chose couple of other nice underwear and she chose a shoes.
Wedding dress was easy; she only had two options to choose from. Helena couldn't help laughing at the irony that her Mama already had the lace and embroidered cloth for what was supposed to be her wedding dress and vail.
In a second, her eyes were filled with hot tears as she sat down crying silently on the shop bench.
Mrs. Smith was trying to comfort her and Helena briefly told her that she misses her mother & father when she kept pushing to tell her what's wrong.
At last, everything was in the carriage and the ladies were on their way back to the palace.
Mrs. Smith advised her that she would dine tonight with Mrs. Donavan in her suite; as she should not be seeing Dalton till tomorrow at the wedding.
Helena smiled at the idea that at least they won't fight and scream at each other's faces.
She then couldn't help thinking; what will happen next. She was too busy trying to get the money that only now she started to realize the trap she's entering. This horrible man is marrying her. That's a lifetime sentence. Helena started trembling again at the idea, her breathing stated to go very short again & very quick.
Again, before she could do anything about it, she passed out. The last thing she heard was Mrs. Smith screaming.