Chapter 9: Panic

Mrs. Smith held Helena who was crying unable to believe that she now have the money but will marry this cold scary man. Her nerves were down from only trying to keep her head up from drowning around this unhappy intimidating person... his last remark and remembering she will have to share his bed blew out the last of her courage.
Mrs. Smith tried to comfort her: but Helena honestly you have to learn not to worsen the discussions to that extent... you dared him like no other! He's not at all used for people to stand out to him.
Helena: you saw how he wanted to put my spirits down; I couldn't take it Mrs. Smith. I'm not sure I'm making the right decision, can I still ask him for a loan. He doesn't want to marry me as much as I don't want to marry him
Mrs. Smith: out of question Helena. If you please don't go back now on your word!
Dalton returned as Mrs. Smith said that and looked angry at the two ladies with his hand in his pockets: she wants to go back on her word?
Mrs. Smith: no no darling... I guess she's only feeling lonely without her family
Helena seeing that he didn't believe the lady: the truth is, I don't want marriage as much as you don't. If I gave you enough guarantees, will you lend me some money?
Dalton hated her rejecting him: I don't lend money... money will be paid upon marriage or nothing at all... that's the only option.
Helena looked defeated and her eyes filled with tears but nodded her head looking away.
Dalton: Mrs. Smith arrange for the marriage tomorrow. There's no point to postpone. After all, you all wanted me to stop going to prostitution. I'm getting my own.
Helena gasped and rushed towards him daring his eyes: how dare you? You have no manners and no way will I be your wife... I'm out of here Mrs. Smith. This was the last straw; I will go even if I have to walk home.
Dalton snapped at her taking her arm and shook her: this is the last time you speak with disrespect. If you think you don't like the naming of this, what do you call it then? Whatever your reasons you are selling yourself to me.

At this point Helena's sobbing and breathing almost stopped. She broke down and blacked out falling hitting her body hard on the ground. Dalton didn't realize she was falling; he was so convinced she was acting and playing on them. Mrs. Smith started screaming at the sight of Helena fallen on the ground.

It took Dalton sometime to take Helena's arm and to grab and carry her coldly and put her on the chair. It wasn't until he felt she was frozen cold with cold sweat that he believed she was not pretending. He stood looking at her as Mrs. Smith called Maria to bring water.
Mrs. Smith looked at Dalton: you said you would make things differently this time... what do you have against her? If you want me to send her away I will, but I won't be able to tell your mother you are letting her down again.
Dalton looked so angry at the lady to an extent she stepped back of fear. He walked towards Helena who was starting to open her heavy eyes while gasping for air, she was still not well but she brought herself to stand on her feet wanting to leave the room. There was only one feeling inside her; that she was happy to never see him again, she coldly pushed away his offered hand to help her as she passed him.
She went out of the house and walked into the garden not wanting to talk or think of how easily he insulted her. He thinks he will own her? Did he really imply he bought her? "Oh God, I want to go away. But I want to find a way to get papa out and help Mama up to her feet again". She sat on the garden bench gasping for air, trying to gather her strength to go inside again and ask Mrs. Smith to send her home. Instead, her tears started falling down when she put her hands on her face and let herself cry of pain and humiliation.