Chapter 18: Black Lace

She went to the bathroom trying to collect herself as she didn't know what was he thinking? Is he sleeping in her bed or is he thinking they talk. She tried to control her anxiety as he knocked impatiently: will you get out or I come in?
Helena went out angrily: excuse me!! I cannot have a moment on my own?
His answer came unexpectedly when he suddenly grabbed her whole body into his arms pushing her to the wall touching her softly with firm arm around her waist and another on the back of her neck... their two bodies were so close as he took off her robe and stood looking at her figure and her sleeveless nightgown with its deep v-cut showing her beautiful skin..
He suddenly stepped back as she stood watching him not knowing why but wanted him kissing her again.
Dalton's face was building anger when Helena froze at his reaction: whose idea this open dress was?
Helena didn't understand what the issue was: I liked it... I chose it... why? What...
Dalton was fuming: it's like the ones cheap prostitute would wear... I hate it... it's cheap and you should have known better... this stupid Mrs. Smith!!
Helena was so shocked at him: it's not her... but I'm your wife... don't ever speak to me or try to compare me to other women you saw or knew before... i just cannot believe it, if you are angry now that's because it's something related to you and your past experiences.. That has nothing to do with me... it's a simple lace nightgown that i liked... how could you immediately relate it to bad women... and how would i have even known that??

Dalton was again furious: as a wife, you should have known better than buying this...
Helena screamed at him: enough... that's enough... leave me alone.
He left her feeling completely put off at her words... she dares him every time & now she blamed him for his past, what does this naive girl know? But most importantly where does she get her power from? He went to the blue room and slammed the door...
She went to bed, knelt and prayed "what am I to do God... why did all this have to happen ... it wasn't enough what happened to mama & papa? I'm so scared and broken... He's so cruel... I can see he has many demons inside his head and he will only hurt himself & me... I'm scared"
She didn't feel how long she knelt but seems she cried herself to sleep on the ground.
Later, she felt being held and tucked in bed when she whispered: I'm scared Papa... so scared.
A warm hand comforted her and touched her face and hair when she immediately fell back asleep.

When she woke up in the morning, she prayed again, washed up and wore one of the new dresses. She really looked fresh and beautiful.

A knock on the door followed by the smell of coffee on a tray that Maria brought, Helena took the cup and smiled at her: morning Mrs. Donavan Junior
Helena: Oh, God that's too long. I guess it can just be Mrs. Helena??
The connected door opened and Dalton appeared: no, it cannot be. You are now Mrs. Donavan and you will keep and honor the name.
Helena already decided that she's done fighting for at least couple of days she was too exhausted: morning Husband... of course, you are right.
He came and hugged her making Maria run out of the room closing the door behind her.
Helena looked at him... his eyes looked tired as if he didn't have enough sleep: now I will kiss my wife for that... I like it when you're acting rationally... keep this sentence coming up and I can tell you, life will be easier for you.
Helena was trying not to get angry and managed to move her face away as he was about to bend and kiss her: what sentence... you are right?? At least I have the courage to admit when you are right... and last night you were not!! And I will speak my mind at any point.
Dalton looked at her and couldn't believe how she had this spirit that seemed not even available in many men he met: are you done? Do you at all remember what we said about not defining me??
Helena snapped back: it was connected to not provoking me, if you remember.
She then looked so sad as she stepped away from him and stood by the window: cannot we at least have a breakfast without arguing??
Dalton approached her and took her hand not saying anything guiding her to his room.
Once she sat on the breakfast table he handled her a bunch of beautiful white flowers tied up with a rose satin ribbon attached to it a small box.
Dalton watched her eyes as she smiled at the flowers: I... I love them... Thank you.
Dalton eyes were shining at her happiness but spoke in his normal ordering tone: open the box
She opened the box and found a beautiful pearl necklace: that's very pretty.
He stood and locked it around her neck... it looked beautiful on her and matched beautifully with her dress's round neck.
Dalton sipped his coffee and kept looking at her as they ate in silence again.
Mrs. Smith came to see her when Dalton left and her face seemed to be filled with happiness.
Mrs. Smith: Oh, my child... you made me so proud... Dalton was happy when he told me!
Helena looked puzzled at what would Dalton tell her: I'm lost Mrs. Smith... not sure I understand
Mrs. Smith: he told me when I asked him that you were... I mean he was happy you were... not married before.
Helena: but I wasn't... what made you think I was.
Mrs. Smith was rather more embarrassed than Helena who was now angry: well... you actually... I mean girls who haven't been married before would hardly accept marriage the way you and Mr Donavan did... I mean...
Helena looked sad: arranged in this way for money? You mean?!
Mrs. Smith saw the pain in Helena's eyes: don't be sad my child... he was relieved, Dalton has seen his share of pain. You must try to understand him.
Helena spoke softly as her sadness was taking over her: it's enough Mrs. Smith please... whatever and however bad he thought of me it is not true... I too have my reasons.
Mrs. Smith was worried that she annoyed Helena while she wanted to congratulate her: no my child... I don't want you to be sad... I just came to check on you and ask if you needed anything... if you will excuse me... I will let you beautify yourself for your husband
Helena looked annoyed but smiled at the lady... and went to take a long hot shower to cool her anger from them all... and this idiot of a lawyer too.