Chapter 40: Family in Town

They reached town where they were staying at the family's house.
He introduced her to his Auntie who lived in there and went directly to their room to freshen up.
It was already night and they changed quickly to have dinner.
Helena promised herself she will try not to annoy him and maybe they'd enjoy the time as much as possible.

She looked so pretty going to the dining room where Dalton and his Auntie Victoria were sitting talking most probably about her cause they stopped talking once she stepped in.

She smiled softly, leaned and kissed Dalton, which seemed to take him by surprise... she also smiled at his aunt.
Helena: Auntie Victoria, the house is beautiful and really elegant
Victoria sounded very proud: it's the family townhouse since at least fifty years now.

Helena was trying to make any conversation while Dalton was just focusing on her, which made her feel annoyed: that's very special... nothing is more important than family of course... but don't you miss the quieter ambiance of the countryside? I mean the palace is amazing as well.
Victoria: yes of course, the palace is the source of pride for our family... this was built for my great grandfather and it took him 15 years to be done this way... the furniture, paintings and antiques have been collected across generations.
Helena continued as she smiled at the butler and the lady who served dinner: impressive.
She tried to fill the awkward silence by asking her about the palace and the old family history while Dalton was thinking, how she looked so still while he knew she was sad the whole road.
Victoria asked her suddenly: but you and Dalton, how you met and what was the urgency of your marriage being done so fast without a proper big wedding?
Dalton tried to hide his surprise while Helena looked so in control of her reaction: why the fast marriage? It's obvious; we didn't want to waste four or five months arranging for a big wedding. It was more important for us to start our life together.
Dalton smiled at her as he touched her hand across the table
Helena continued: how we met? Dalton loves telling this part.
Dalton smiled again at her quick witty way of escaping that part of the question: It's very classical Auntie. We both have a mutual friend who loves Helena and arranged that I see her. She looked sad that day but something in her eyes called me and I decided she's the woman I want.
The two women were frozen at his words, specifically Helena who almost missed a heartbeat.
Victoria: that's so sweet Dalton, considering you're a very logical man and your past experiences...
Dalton looked sharply at his aunt and turned the conversation fast: actually, that's a common thing about the two of us. Helena is a very logical person. I guess it has to do with the amount of books she reads all the time
Victoria: but you must have had some education Helena??
Helena smiled: I'm a university graduate, which I know is very uncommon among women
Dalton looked angry for some reason while Victoria looked impressed: that's quite uncommon... which university dear
Helena was confused on why Dalton was annoyed: York... I was homeschooled before then attended college and got certified from the University of York.
Dalton interrupted: shall we have a drink at your drawing room Auntie and hear all the family's news?
Dalton took Helena's arm and walked her out while Victoria was giving orders to the butler.
Dalton grabbed her arm so harshly: I understand you wanted to impress my family but I hate lying... just hate it... don't ever do this again
Helena's face was full of pain: I wasn't, I swear I...
Dalton squeezed her arm more interrupting her: stop this now... there's nothing more hateful to me than lying deceitful women
Helena was so sad: you're hurting me Dalton please.
He left her arm as she was trying to control her face as Victoria entered the room.
Victoria: pour me a glass of wine Dalton and another one to your wife... scotch is in the crystal bottle on the side.
Dalton handled the ladies their drinks while he poured a whiskey to himself... he asked Victoria about cousin Gordon who's just had a baby with his beautiful wife Nervana and then spoke about other families and lots of acquaintances ..
Helena sat silently trying to see Dalton's reasons on how he always looked down at her... She thought he'd look differently at her that they connected a little in past weeks... but again they fall off so easily and he goes back to disbelieving her in a fraction of a second... She looked sad but tried to keep her head held up.

The following day they went to visit Gordon and his wife, Helena insisted that they buy a present for the new baby which Dalton agreed to.
Gordon laughed and winked at him when Helena gave the present to his wife who seemed to be nice but was one of the ladies who wouldn't stop talking to the extent that she was telling them all about her delivery in details.
Helena kept listening politely while catching Dalton rolling his eyes to his cousin, they disappeared shortly in the drawing room.
Helena escaped half an hour later, she went to the bathroom when Gordon called her to join them for a drink.
Helena: that would be great, thank you
When Helena went into the room, she smiled and held Dalton who was getting used to her sweetness in front of people.
Gordon: come on Helena how do you love this monster of a cousin?
Dalton laughed but Helena looked annoyed: hey Gordon, I was starting to like you!!
Gordon was laughing: don't try to protect him... please protect yourself and everyone else.
Dalton pulled her and kissed her head: she doesn't need protection from me... I would do anything to make her happy... By the way, have you adjusted how we go tomorrow to the horse race?
Gordon: all is set, i meet you and we go together... I have perfect seats for us.
Helena was so excited she turned to Dalton: I feared you forgot... thank you.

The following day, she was looking absolutely beautiful with the hairdo, gloves and hat for the race... Dalton smiled as he saw her: you look... beautiful Helena
Victoria: oh dear... you do look beautiful... I wasn't sure you knew how to dress for a horse race, and those beautiful ribbons in your hair... how did you do that yourself?
Helena smiled softly: thank you, I've been coming to this race since many years.
Gordon arrived and admired how Helena looked and complimented Auntie Victoria fast, to spare himself being shouted at.

At the race the seats were to the front as Gordon said, they met many other people from Dalton's acquaintances, couple of them would stair when they were introduced to Helena as his wife, she saw the surprised looks on their faces but didn't want to ask.

When later she asked Dalton about it; he asked her not to take any account of them... they're only being stupid, he said.
She couldn't understand why one of them was so surprised and said: again? Already??
This remark seemed to confuse Gordon and Victoria while Dalton's face was steel cold not answering her.

Helena's eyes were searching the grounds for Sparky, her beige golden horse... he was supposed to run today... she was grateful that the stable was being paid in advance yearly and everything the horse needed was already paid and settled before the dilemma.