Chapter 34: The Cottage

The following morning everything was wrapped and put on a third horse while Helena put on the men pant under her dress as she used to do back home when she went riding.
She was impressing him and the stable workers with her skill while mounting the horse and moving around with it as the most practiced rider would do. She took his side as he trotted on his horse keeping it steady and easy. The third horse with the supplies was trailed to his.

The ride in the warm sun was so pretty that she was smiling all the time... he smiled at her shining eyes and kept showing her some beautiful spots on their way till they reached the simple elegant cottage.
He went down asking her to wait for him to bring her down; but she dismounted gracefully before he finished his words.
Dalton: Jesus! Have you always had a mind of your own?
Helena laughed: don't want to scare you off... but yes... always!
Dalton smiled as he approached her lifting her chin to kiss her: carful that I don't make you pay for it.
His kiss was soft and long as he moved his lips to her ears: there's no one here to save you from me... I can do whatever ... whenever!
She felt that her cheeks were on fire when he looked deeply in her eyes kissing her once more before letting her out of his arms... it took her some time to find her legs and be able to start walking... a different smile was glued to her lips.
He opened the door and carried all the supplies inside as he led her inside.
Helena loved the place: it's pretty!
Dalton smiled and circled her waist from her back: it's simple and beautiful... and away... which I like.
He took her hand and showed her the three bedrooms and asked her which one she liked, she smiled and let him chose for them.
They had a coffee and he helped her to set the kitchen, which surprised her as he was offering help since they stepped in. He arranged the books he got for them to read, as they agreed he brought only novels so they can discuss and argue about the characters and the events of the story as they by now love doing.

He poured her wine as she was started to cook as he sat to a small piano and played couple of notes before stopping and standing gazing at nowhere from the window.
She washed her hands and went, stood behind him.
She placed her palms on both of his eyes, stretching herself up as he was longer than her... she asked him to wait when he tried to remove her palms.

Helena: tell me where you were when you kept looking into nowhere just now
Dalton sighed: nowhere Helena
Helena insisted: who's with you at this nowhere?
Dalton sighed again: my father!
She let her hands down: how was he like Dalton?
Dalton: he was kind but firm, I needed to prove myself to him every single day... he favored my brother and was kinder to him... but I know he loved and trusted me... he never said it but I never doubted it... he loved hearing me play piano... I haven't played since he left our world.

Helena felt for Dalton and was thinking it was the first time he showed vulnerability: do you think if you play a little now, he won't be watching you from heavens?
Dalton looked rather surprised at her: never thought about it this way!
She took his hand to the piano and sat beside him as he started touching the piano... he started with slow few notes, then started playing a beautiful tune... sad but beautiful.
When he stopped, she whispered to him: that was beautiful... moving and beautiful.
He swallowed hard when she leaned resting her head on his shoulder.
They stayed for a short time till she stood calmly: I have to arrange food... can I have a bit more wine please?
He smiled as he walked to fill their glasses while she went back to the kitchen.

Dinner was so tasty and they were both hungry... he was still sitting after dinner when she asked him to help with the hot water and the dishes, which made him, laugh: ooh,... you will pay for that Helena... I promise you.
She laughed back: you didn't expect you will just sit there doing nothing... I worry for you that you'd be bored! I'm doing you a favor when you think about it.
He giggled which made her so surprised: God Dalton, you do know how to laugh!!! It's the first time in all the months of our marriage... i... I wish you were not so unhappy.
Dalton stood beside her and looked in her eyes: I wish you were not so unhappy too Helena
His words surprised her, mainly because it was true, she smiled bitterly: good point... I have a crazy idea only if you'd like to give a try!
Dalton looked suspicious: I have never been the illogical crazy person but I can hear you out.
Helena smiled: what if, in here, we are our true selves... and for couple of days we put behind our pain and my family tragedies as you call them?
He looked suspicious: is that even possible? But, do you get to sing softly as if I'm not around? Or you smile at birds when they fly over your head? Or you reach out your fingers in the air when you see a butterfly in the fields when they fly around you?
Helena was frozen at his words: never thought you ever noticed any of that... I guess it's too crazy when you put it this way!
Dalton smiled: good crazy... actually... I agree... we give it a try.
Helena looked so surprised: you agree?? Really??
Dalton smiled: just to keep seeing this surprised look in your eyes.
Helena challenged him: but no... You're not gifted... don't think you can do anything crazy!
Dalton laughed: I know you see me too cold... but I can play piano daylong and give you headaches... or just take you to bed and have my revenge and make you pay for all the times you provoke and challenge me!
Helena's heart skipped a beat and blushed instantly when his fist reached to her red cheek and his thumb rubbed across her lip, she spoke with difficulty: piano... play a little please.
Dalton smiled as he lifted her to the bedroom: as crazy as you wanted, bed is more appealing.
He spent the whole night holding her even after they satisfied each other totally in bed, she softly whispered his name as he looked at her face and closed his eyes locking her soft lips into his in a long soft kiss... he whispered: Lena .. That's what I will always call you here.
She smiled while her eyes were still closed as if she's afraid to open them and wake up from the dreamy moment: if I open my eyes, you will still be holding me calling me this name or I will find myself waking up a dream?
He rolled her on her back: open your eyes Lena and look at me
She smiled and opened her eyes when he kissed her and grabbed her body under his whispering as he kissed her neck: I want you again my Lena.
They melted again in each other and didn't disconnect before they were both breathless.

The following days were as dreamy and crazy as they both wished... they went horse riding, racing to beautiful spots he wanted to show her, he played the piano while she cooked, they read A Christmas Carol for her favorite author Charles Dickens and argued about the scary happenings and the main characters... and when they went to bed every night there was no more arguing.. There was only warm soft passion.