Chapter 53: The Paint-house 🏡

Five days later Dalton and the lawyer were standing in front of the paint house the detective advised him that he found Helena Bentley into.

Johnson was trying to explain his theory to Dalton as they were both standing on the other side of the house watching many gentlemen going in the house for the past half hour.
Johnson: what type of a house is that if it wasn't what i told you? All the visitors are gentlemen... wealthy looking gentlemen?? I wonder how many women are inside to serve that many
Dalton's blood was boiling at that horrible idea... but Helena?? She wouldn't... she's nothing like that... she was even a virgin when we married... he kept thinking.
The mere idea of Helena might be in another man's arms made Dalton jump and cross the road not waiting for Johnson who kept telling him not to go in.

A well-dressed Butler opened the door as they rang the bell, looking curious at the two gentlemen he didn't know: how may I help you, Sir?
Dalton looked surprised at the elegant man: I'm here to see Helena Bentley
Butler: of course Sir... please follow me
Dalton was checking the elegant house when Johnson said one of his normal mean comments: didn't know they're using elegant houses to cover up for the dirty prostitution business

Dalton shot him a silencing look checking if the butler heard anything.

They entered a large elegant Salon where a blond elegant woman was standing with another very good-looking lady
Butler: Mrs. Bentley, the gentlemen are here to see Ms. Helena, they said.
Mrs. Bentley: how do you do? I'm her mother... and you are here with an appointment?
Johnson laughed meanly: let's say it's a casual meeting... maybe we become regulars

Dalton shot him another look and then spoke to the lady rather angrily: is she available now... I'm in a hurry... if you tell her there's someone to see her, please

Mrs. Bentley looked puzzled between them and spoke to the Butler: can you call Nana please, Garrett?
Dalton shot back: Nana Bentley is here? I don't want to see her... I want to see Helena Bentley.

Mrs. Bentley looked suspicious at him while the other lady laughed lightly: how do you know Helena dear Sir?
Dalton was getting really annoyed and answered rudely: would that make any difference? Can you just call her please?
Mrs. Bentley seemed very annoyed and signaled to the butler to call Helena.

The other lady laughed and spoke to Mrs. Bentley looking down at Dalton with his tired angry look: Na... I mean, Helena is amazing. I cannot believe how fast she picked up on everything. I cannot believe she have twelve gentlemen inside totally under her control.

Mrs. Bentley walked the lady to the door as she was leaving: she's been through lots... but I'm so proud of her

Johnson looked at Dalton who was boiling at this stage: how fast she picked up on everything?? The respectful Mrs. Helena ... in a place like this, twelve men?? And you kept telling me i was mistaken Mr Donavan?!

Helena came out of the closed door looking at her Mom who immediately told her: Nana sweetheart; the gentlemen wants to see Helena not Nana... not making much sense to me honestly.

Helena's heart jumped of joy and her face beamed with happiness as she ran to Dalton, throwing herself on him, arms circling his neck and kissed his lips: you're here... you found me... you came for me Dalton!

Dalton softened at her happiness and her sweet hug and kiss, while part of him was still asking himself why she isn't scared as Johnson suggested... She should have been terrified that I came to catch her in the act, as Johnson said and ensured i travel to see for myself!

She forced herself to smile at Johnson: Mr Johnson... how are you, come Dalton let me introduce you to Mama.

He was looking fully taken at her sweet eyes and only remembered how he missed her, her sweet kiss returned life to him, but her mother was so shocked and angry while she was watching them: Nana... what on heavens?? Have you just kissed...? Explain yourself young lady immediately.

She took his arm and walked to her Mom who was staring at them: Mama, let me introduce Dalton Donavan... my hus...

At this moment her father shot out of the closed room and said with a deep voice: Nana sweetie... come inside... we need to start and it's not at all elegant to keep the gentlemen waiting
Helena: yes Papa... I want to introduce Dalton my...
Again, her father cut her off taking a quick shack-hand with Dalton pulling him inside: Welcome Sir; is the other gentleman attending the meeting as well?
Johnson looked puzzled and rather disappointed: meeting?
Dalton tried to be tactful about it: Mr Johnson was already leaving... I'm attending if that's fine with Helena... Nana?

Helena ordered a chair beside her on the table-head while her father was on the opposite table-head and six gentlemen were seated at each side of the table.