Chapter 26: Secret Rooftop

She was sitting on her own for some time in this new place she discovered on the side top of the palace when she heard the gardeners moving all around the garden looking as if they are on search... she knew it was for her.
Helena was annoyed but called them when Mr Smith waived to her, only few minutes later Dalton appeared and she was preparing herself for another stupid argument. He had a big blanket in his arm that he silently throw beside her. She took it and wrapped it around her while standing looking at the open sky inhaling silently.

He too was silent... he just sat on the stone bench looking at the open sky in front of them as time slipped by while they were both taken in their thoughts.

As the silence of the quite night eased their anger and tension... he came near and stood beside her to watch the sky when she moved her eyes away from him not understanding what he wanted: you are not intimidating me just standing there... i wanted to be alone and you are intruding my escape place.
Dalton tried not to smile and spoke slow: your escape place happens to be my most favorite spot in my palace... mind you... it is my palace!
Helena was annoyed at him again looking down at her... she turned to leave; but he grabbed her arm: stay Helena... i will go.

He paused, then smiled: unless you are scared of ghosts... this spot also is the most preferred by the ghosts of the palace.
Helena felt wired at his trying to scare her and tried to control the smile that was still escaping on her lips: is that the point where i jump into your arms asking for protection?
He laughed and looked directly at her eyes: any other woman would do that... but not you.
Helena didn't know what he meant: i will simply take this as a compliment and won't ask what you meant.
They stood silent but again for no reason their anger reduced more... They were both gazing at the open moonless skies when a shooting star fell in front of them and they both smiled in awe.
Dalton looked curiously at her: what is it with you and bewitching the stars... that's the second time i see a falling star when you are staring at the sky!?
Helena smiled at the idea: I'm not... actually it's a shooting star... it travels across galaxies with a promise of making wishes come true.
Dalton looked rather amazed at her dreamy eyes still glued at the sky: what happens when we run out of wishes, and nothing seems to fill the emptiness...
He cut off his words as he seemed to regret speaking his mind... he went back and sat on the bench... she realized what he wanted to say but didn't want to push him.
She went and sat quietly beside him... he thought she will ask him... but she didn't: what? You are not going to integrate and nag me to continue and tell you what I'm thinking?
Helena: no... I guess i was never good at that... I've always believed in giving space and letting people share only if they want to.
Dalton: that's very unusual i have to say... i thought it's a core believe in women's head.
Helena smiled in a naughty way: if you are refereeing to certain examples, let me tell you it's rather unkind of you to say that...
They both burst in laughter thinking of Mrs. Smith.

Dalton said quietly as the laughter died off: i know she's very kind... she and her husband have been in the palace before i was even born
Helena: Yes, she is... and she loves you dearly... she spoke so highly of you when she was trying to convince me...
She cut of her words and she too surrendered to silence...
Dalton was curious: now that's terrible... i have to ask you to finish and tell me more...
Helena smiled at his shining eyes: you mean you will beg me to speak my mind... my turn to return your words!
Dalton couldn't help smiling: you are terrible... no... I won't... you will just have to tell me.
Helena smiled as their eyes linked for a moment in silence until the smile on their faces disappeared.
Helena: i needed a loan from Mr Isaac you know... then it didn't work with him & Mrs. Smith suggested marriage...
Dalton was surprised and stood in anger: loan, no i didn't know you asked Isaac for a loan? For the whole three hundred fifty Pounds? What kind of a disaster you would be in, to ask for this? And how could you have ever paid back? Sell yourself on the streets? It wouldn't have even...
He paused for a second when she froze at his reaction and terrible words, he felt pain in his heart: you know something Helena... i told you i hate it when people blame it all on family tragedies... i don't want to know... every time i know anything about you, it takes me miles away.

He turned and left, as her tears ran down silently while she walked back to her room, took a shower and went to bed... under a numbing sensation that even prevented her from thinking of what he just said.

He didn't go to her bed or his... he spent the night in his office trying to read or dig his head in some business but he couldn't... there was no logic on how he wanted to go hug her and wipe her tears off.. He knew she would be crying alone.

When he entered the room very late, she was still standing beside the window. She felt him behind her when she spoke with despair: the whole past time, i thought i hated that we avoid speaking to each other... i thought we could share a quite normal conversation like any two ordinary people... Thank you Dalton for proving me wrong... so wrong!

He breathed out as he sat on the bed and started taking off his clothes and silently went to bed... when she went to bed she stayed away from him as he slept on his back looking at the ceiling.