LXXXI. STAY

ALONE!

MARCH 1979

MARCH 1979

• • • •

The Evergreen Estate was silent.

Regulus' funeral had just finished and Holland sat at the dining table, head in her hands, unmoving.

Footsteps walked up behind her and the girl felt a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"Holland?" Her mother softly said, sitting down in the seat next to her, "I know this is a ridiculous question. But, are you okay?"

"No," Holland shook her head, hands in her hair, "No, I'm not okay. I'm trying to be, but I'm not."

"Oh, sweetheart," Larissa cooed, bringing her daughter into a hug, as the girl started to sob into her shoulder, "No one's asking you to be strong. You're allowed to be upset. You loved him. He was the father of your child."

"Who I have to raise by myself," Holland sniffed, "I'm going to have to be the one to explain to them why their father isn't here. How am I supposed to be father and mother?"

"You won't," Larissa told her, "You will be yourself. Holland Elara Lux. An incredibly strong young woman, who is going to be an incredible mother."

Holland looked up at the woman, vulnerability filling her eyes, "Really."

Larissa smiled softly, placing a gentle kiss on her daughter's forehead, "Really. And you have your family to help you, as well as an army of friends, all fighting to be godparents."

***

Larissa had gone home a few hours ago, Holland wanting to be alone for the night.

The girl let out a soft sigh as she sat in the nursery, slowly rocking back and forth on the rocking chair, her face blank as she stared at the wall ignoring the knock on the door that echoed through the empty house. She didn't have the energy to answer it, but she knew that Mopsy would and alert her if it was anyone important.

A quiet knock on the nursery door made Holland look up and send a small smile to Mopsy.

"Miss?"

"Yes, Mopsy?"

"There's someone here who wants to see you," The house-elf told her mistress, "They're waiting in the living room, but I can ask him to leave if you would like me to."

"It's alright, Mopsy," Holland waved off, standing up slowly, "It's most likely James or Sirius. It's late. You should turn in for the night. I'll be fine."

"Yes, Miss." Mopsy nodded.

"Goodnight, Mopsy."

"Goodnight, Miss."

Holland watched the house-elf leave with a small smile, before making her way to the living room. The girl tied her robe up over her baby bump, making her way downstairs, fully expecting to see one of her friends waiting there, ready with some stupid way of trying to cheer her up, only to freeze when she saw who was standing in her living room.

"Remus?"

The boy turned around and looked at her with a small smile, "Hey."

"What're you doing here?" Holland asked, slowly walking closer to him.

"I wanted to check in on you," Remus told her, putting his hands in his pockets, "I wanted to make sure that you were that you were okay."

Holland smiled softly, "That's very thoughtful of you. Thank you," She said, making Remus blush slightly, "And I'm doing as well as I can, I suppose."

"Good," Remus nodded, "I should probably go. It's late and I'm prpabbaly the last person you want to see right now."

As he went to leave, Holland caught his hand, "Stay," She told him, "Please."

Remus stared down at her and swallowed the lump in his throat, before nodding.

Holland smiled up at him, "Thank you." She whispered, before pulling him into a warm, comforting hug.