Chapter Eighteen

The next morning I had made a large breakfast of pretty much everything I could think of but with eight of us I thought it would be a good idea.

It was foggy outside the mist from the mountains hung outside leaving only the silhouette of the horse pen, and stable.

After I had set the table, and made coffee, I walked outside leaving my mug by the steps before walking down to the barn that held the stables.

Pushing open the door, I walked along the row of them as the back half of the barn wasn't for horses it was for a sort of lounge area slash loft in the event after a day of trail riding we all wanted to just relax or even maybe sleep.

As I passed horse after horse each a different colour I reached the one where Nero lay.

I liked to leave the stable open because this was where water for the horses always was.

With Nico's help one summer we designed a cycling water system from the lake nearby filtering it dozens of times before it would fill the water trough to a point before draining and re entering the lake.

Walking over to where my horse was I sat down next to him, like I did on most mornings when I was here.

After a while he woke up so I stood and stepped back to give him room so he could too.

"Buongiorno Nero" I say reaching my hand slowly towards him until he puts his nose against my hand.

"You care a lot about him don't you?" I hear Olivia ask and I turn to see her walking towards me.

"Yes, he's not just a horse to me, Nero never was" I reply.

"It's nice seeing the bond people can have with horses, I never got to see it for myself until just now".

"Respect and mutual trust that's how I built my relationship with him" I say removing my hand and reaching it out towards Olivia.

"What are you...?" she begins before I take her hand.

"Showing him that I trust you" I say moving her hand slowly up until stopping it and letting Nero decide if he wants to be touched by her.

When he puts his head forward to Olivia's hand I remove mine.

"He's silky" Olivia comments.

"That he is" I reply before walking away towards the door of the barn.

I then hear Olivia begin to follow me.

"So what's the plan for today?" she asks having to run to catch up with me, so I slow to her walking pace.

"Breakfast, hopefully the fog goes away, then I can teach you how to ride a horse. I had told you I'd teach you so why not the second day we're here" I say looking down at her.

"Kinda scared kind of excited" she muses.

"It'll be fine I'll be right there with you".

"Yeah but I've never done horse back riding before and there all thoroughbred horses".

"So, I'll teach you the whole thing from how to mount a horse, to setting up the saddle and bridle, I am also giving you a helmet, and then I'll teach you how to control where your going it'll be fun I promise" I say reassuringly.

"I don't doubt that" Olivia muses, as we walk up the steps, and I pick up my mug of coffee. "You left that there".

"Yes I did" I say taking a sip from the mug, while Olivia just shook her head.

"What?" I ask with a small smile.

"Why would you leave that there?".

"Didn't think I'd be very long" I reply stepping back inside, and slipping off my shoes.