Chapter Thirty Three

Adrian Winters

As we got to Rome at four in the afternoon I felt weird driving a German car in Italy, but then again I'd also rather drive a Mercedes over a Fiat any day.

"Where do you want to go first?" I ask as we drive through the roads of Rome.

"The colosseum" Olivia says, and I spot it through buildings before turning towards what was once the Roman Empire's champion gladiator arena.

As we pulled up I took note of how few exorbitantly expensive vehicles were on the streets.

Goes to show how practical someone has to be here.

I quickly parked and got out of the car, and putting on my sunglasses so that I'm not blinded by the sun.

In front of both me and Olivia was the largest stone structure I had ever seen, shaped in a giant oval with dozens of pillars was the colosseum, crowded by dozens of people all wanting to see the structure.

"This is crazy, apparently we're not the only one's who want to see this" Olivia muses.

"Right now is the busiest time though the only real other time to see it would be at night" I say as we cross the street.

"I can picture it at night" she says and I laugh, before joining the line of people.

As we neared the entrance I could practically see Olivia jumping out of her skin with excitement, which only made me smile more.

Walking inside after the half an hour wait, I walked through the entire building observing everything with conservative fascination. When we got out to where the stands would have been I attempt to imagine the half a million Romans that could be seated all chanting for victory while men fought in the arena below.

"How old is the colosseum Adrian?" Olivia asks leaning on the banister railing.

"Nearly two thousand" I say looking down at her, as she looked over the whole structure. "I can only imagine how it must have felt to stand here looking over all of this when it had first been completed".

"Especially if you were the emperor".

"Very true, that's probably why so many used it as a way to seek glory" I muse, before continuing up to the highest point I could get to look over all of Rome.

In the distance I could see the Vatican City with the St. Peters Basilica sticking up into the sky.

"Rome is a pretty place" Olivia says joining me under the arch I was standing in.

"Indeed, probably part of what brings people here" I reply.

"What brought you here?".

"You, I wanted to see you smile while looking around this city, besides something has to melt the glaciers I freeze".

Olivia laughs resting her head against my chest. "I seem to have also melted the coldness that once characterized you as well" she muses.

"I have no complaints about that" I say.

"Oh I'm sure you don't".

I just smirk, while wrapping my arms around her.

"I'd welcome you melting part of me just for you to access a million times over" I muse.

"And I thought I was the hopeless romantic".

"I'm sure you're more one then me".

"Probably but you have your moments".

"I'll take your word for it bellissima".

"Thank you for bringing me to Italy Adrian I like it a lot here" Olivia says turning around so she can look up at me.