Chapter Nineteen

Olivia Thorne

Slipping on my shoes I raced out the back door followed by Adrian who easily caught up to me, before turning around only to still keep pace with me.

Show off.

Reaching the stable he opens the door and we walk inside.

"Chose one that catches your eye" Adrian says walking over to where Nero stood, before he changed into riding boots, and started to set up the saddle, bridle, and reins.

Walking down the lines one particular horse seemed to be interested in me.

She was grey with several black markings, along with nearing me with curiosity.

"Hi" I say reaching out my hand towards the horse, who lowered her head so that I could reach her.

"Her name is Storm" Adrian says from atop Nero.

"I like her, and I think she likes me" I says looking up at him.

"I'd say" he say, dismounting his horse, and walking over to me.

"Go over to the wall and find the one labelled Storm, that's her saddle, blanket, and bridle" Adrian says reaching his hand up to Storm who put her head against his hand.

"Who would guess Adrian Winters would be liked by animals" I muse walking back over with the things I needed.

"I believe animals see who we really are and that's what forms their interest in us" Adrian says taking the blanket, and placing it on Storm's back without a crease on it, something that I would have to get better at.

"Adrian how do you choose a horse".

"As adults choose one that you can see just a little over their back. like Nero's withers come to your height, Storm's are five foot two inches off the ground".

"Ok what do I do with the saddle".

"Where's the horn on the saddle?" Adrian asks and I point to it, "that faces the neck and mane of the horse put the saddle with the horn forward near the end of the front of the blanket.

"Perfect, now watch" Adrian says carefully putting the bridle, and reins on Storm's head setting the reins hooked on the horn.

I then carefully mount Storm and I take note of being four and a half feet off the ground.

"Woah" I breathe before Adrian swiftly and expertly mounts Nero, before guiding his horse around so that we could walk out of the stable.

"Now whichever way you pull the reins towards will be the direction your horse will go, so keep that in mind" Adrian says halting next to me.

"Can I try it first?".

"How much do you trust your balance?".

"Its good, not like yours but good" I reply.

"These are race horses they will try to speed match each other" Adrian begins, "lean forward in the saddle so your more aerodynamic, oh and hold on".

"That's obvious" I whisper with a smirk that Adrian would be proud of.

He then whispers something to Nero and all I see is him take off with me and Storm not far behind.

I thought that I'd be scared but I wasn't it was calming going this fast whether because Adrian drives this fast on most days or that the feeling of the wind against my face, and how I could feel the excitement rising in me as I realize that I'm one riding a horse two haven't fallen off and three flying down the length of the pasture at forty miles an hour.