XCVII. SAFETY

SAFETY!

OCTOBER 1981

OCTOBER 1981

• • • •

Bronwyn sat on the bed in what used to be her and Marlene's shared bedroom.

Tears fell from the girl's eyes as she clutched her lover's old cardigan, the one that she'd wear on their quiet nights in, close to her chest.

The door to the bedroom slowly creaked open and Maxine stared at her best friend in sympathy.

"Oh, Bron." The redhead whispered, slowly moving to sit next to her on the bed.

"I don't know what to do, Max. I miss her so much." Bronwyn cried, her voice cracking as she did.

"I know, Bron," Maxine sighed, reassuringly rubbing the brunette's back, "But you have to think. If Marls were here, what would she tell you?"

"To stop crying over her and to go and beat some Death Eater's arses." Bronwyn said with a teary chuckle.

Maxine laughed slightly, "So what are going to do?"

"Stop crying over her and go beat some Death Eater's arses." Bronwyn laughed.

Maxine smiled, gently stroking the brunette's hair, "That's my girl."

***

The Order of the Phoenix sat around a large round table in a stunned silence.

Holland was the first to break the silence, "What?!"

"No," Maxine shook her head in denial, "No, that's not true."

Dumbledore sighed, "But I'm afraid it is."

"Oh my God." James muttered, head in hands.

"Not our Harry." Lily whispered, voice cracking.

Dumbledore turned to the Potters, "The two of you need to choose a Secret-Keeper. For the safety of yourselves and Harry."

Margaret turned to look at her best friend, whispering, "There are only so many of us left."

Holland look at the blonde sympathetically, taking her hand in her own.

***

"So, who knows where they are?" Margaret asked, as Holland handed her a glass of wine, the pair sat in the Slytherin's living room.

"They picked Sirius." The Irish girl sighed, leaning back on the sofa.

"The obvious choice." Margaret nodded.

"Yeah, they'll be safe." Holland agreed, before they fell into a small silence.

"Is Remus alright up there?" The Hufflepuff girl spoke up, gesturing upstairs with her head.

"Lately, Remus will just sit in Nora's room for about an hour, just watching over her. And then when I put Reggie to bed, he'll do the same with him." Holland softly explained.

"Why?"

A sad, gentle smile fluttered onto the older girl's face, "Those two are the light of his life. And with everything that's been going on, I think the fear of them being taken away from them has gotten worse."

"Right." Margaret nodded.

"Everything's just falling apart," Holland sighed, "And now with Marlene and her family."

"No-one feels safe." Margaret finished.

"Exactly." Holland nodded sadly.

"You don't think that could be the last time we'll ever see them, do you?" Margaret asked in a small voice.

"Honestly, I don't know," Holland shrugged, "But it's James and Lily. You know that once this is all over, James will come kicking down the door and then he and Sirius will perform a dramatic little dance for us all."

Margaret laugh, "Yeah. I guess."

"There's no point worrying over what's going to happen," Holland told her, "Especially when it's out of our control."

"Whatever happens, we'll take care of each other, right?"

Holland sent her a small smile, holding out her pinky finger, "Together?"

Margaret smiled back at her, linking their pinkies, "Together."