XCIX. MOURN THE DEAD

MOURN THE DEAD!

NOVEMBER 1981

• • • •

Holland and Margaret in a café in a solemn silence.

James and Lily Potter were dead.

Harry Potter had been taken to the Dursleys.

Peter Pettigrew was dead.

Sirius Black had been sent to Azkaban for his murder.

Frank and Alice Longbottom had been tortured insanity.

Marlene McKinnon. Dorcas Meadowes. Mary Macdonald. Fabian and Gideon Prewett. Regulus Black.

All of them were the casualties of this horrid war.

The Potters' funeral was small and quiet, yet still very lovely. But that didn't stop the sobbing and mourning of the attendees.

"Where's Remus?" Margaret muttered.

"He went home to stay with the kids," Holland quietly mumbled, "Where's Hugo?"

"He also went home to stay with the kids," Margaret replied, "It was a lovely service."

"Yeah."

They sat in more silence.

"This isn't right." Margaret shook her head, trying to keep back the tears, "James and Lily shouldn't be dead. Harry should be with us. Sirius isn't a murder."

"I know." Holland nodded sadly.

"Did you try and talk to Dumbledore again today."

"Yeah, I tried to," Holland sighed, "But he said that Harry had to be with them and that I should just trust him."

Margaret scoffed, "What a load of bollocks. Harry should be in a loving home, with all of us. With you. You're his godmother, after all."

"Not according to Dumbledore." The Irish girl shook her head.

"Yeah, but he also believes that Sirius betrayed James and Lily and also killed Peter." The blonde sighed.

"He would never," Holland declared, "Sirius would have rather died than betray James and Lily. He would never betray his family."

"Unfortunately, the Ministry are stupid and can't seem to understand that." Margaret seethed.

"What had the Ministry ever done to help during the war?" Holland sighed, "If it weren't for The Order, we would've lost a long time ago."

"And now it's disbanded." Margaret muttered.

"Well, the war is over," Holland shrugged, "We won."

Margaret looked up at her, "But at what cost?"

***

Holland entered Hollyhock Cottage with a tired sigh, hanging up her coat and going into the living room, where her fiancé was sat, staring at the fire.

"Remus?" She softly called out, making the boy look up, "How're you feeling?"

The boy shrugged, wiping away some tears that fell, as Holland slowly sat by his side, her hand on his shoulder.

"I just-" The boy sighed, swallowing thickly, "I just can't understand how I'm the only one left. They were my best friends. James, Lily and Peter are dead. Sirius is the reason for that."

"You don't really believe that Sirius is why, do you?" Holland asked.

Remus turned and stared at his fiancée, "And you don't?"

"Sirius would never betray them." Holland said in a quiet voice.

Remus scoffed, tears still falling, "Well obviously that's a lie."

"Remus-"

"I can't believe you're trying to defend him right now," Remus shook his head, standing up, "He was the only one who knew where they were!"

Holland started crying once again for the who knows how many times that day, "I know!" She exclaimed, "I know. I just don't want any of this to be true. I want to wake up and for this to be one big, horrible dream."

Remus let out a sigh, sitting back down next to the girl, taking her smaller hand in his larger one, "I know. I do to."

The couple held each other close, gripping onto each other as if they were scared that the love of their life would disappear.