↠ C . 3

Trigger Warning: mentions of abuse in this chapter

Aera's random disappearance wasn't a big deal to many students nor teachers

Aera's random disappearance wasn't a big deal to many students nor teachers. But Byeol was aware that it's strange. Aera hated missing school. She was perfectly fine the last time she saw her. After deeply thinking about it she made a decision. Right now Byeol was at the footstep of her best friends house.

She was anxious, her hand hovered above the door bell. 

What's there to loose?

Movements were seen through the obscured glass. A figure approached, instantly Byeol stood straight placing on a soft smile. She wanted to present a good impression. A-yeong's eyes fell on the younger girl judging her attire top to bottom. 

"Hello Mrs Park. Aera hasn't been in school for 3 days and I wanted to check up on her. Is she ill?" Her panicking heart was hidden by the false expression she placed on. Her hands trembled by the older lady's intimidating glare.  Clenching her fist in hope to stay calm, Byeol kept her consistent stable structure.  

"She's fine" was the only response she got before the door swang shut in her face not letting her speak another word.  Byeol scoffed at Aera's mothers behaviour. 

Cold-hearted like always. So rude. Should I report her to the police for child abuse?

Byeol stared at the front door shaking her head as unwanted thoughts were overtaking her mind. If she reported for child abuse then Aera would end up on the streets or orphanage. Her mother would be sent to prison. That's the last thing she wants her friend to go through. 

Also it's not what Aera wants, Byeol mentioned this many times but Aera would only smile and decline the idea. Even though her mother treats her awfully she was the only family the girl had. There were times Byeol said that she could move in with her family but the girl didn't want to be a burden.  

She made her way back home. As much as she wanted to barge in to find her best friend she didn't want to see Aera's mother again. Byeol doesn't want to accept it but she is terrified of her!

Aera was sleeping on the cold wooden flooring in the abandoned room. The only friends were the creatures living on the cobwebs watching her from the corners of the walls. She hasn't eaten or drank for days and was losing energy. Tiredness taking over.

At a distance the picking of the lock was heard perking the girl's attention. As much as she wanted to sit up she couldn't as her will to move drained out her body.  Her mother stood at the doorway leaning. She fixed her eyes on the sleeping figure. Gritting her teeth she took large strides towards her. An alarm of pain traveled her stomach as her mother's foot dug deep into her abdomen. "Wake up!"

 "Here eat this! You need to look alive at least." She handed a bowl of rice with some kimchi in and sat on a chair watching every move of her daughter. Aera's pursed her lips holding in her suffering. Her cries subsided as she hurriedly ate the food. With no breaks between each bite she stuffed her mouth in a messy manner like a animal who laid their eye on food for the first time.