↠ C .21

"What?"

"What?"

Taeyeon glanced at the spokesmen. She saw Donghyuck at her doorstep with a box of KFC. "What are you doing here?" the tanned boy grinned at her question and lifted the box of delicious heavenly made junk food. "For you and me! I'm not sharing with the others so you better be grateful for having a bestie like me"

"Oh we besties now huh" she raised her right eyebrow teasing him. Donghyuck gasped at her sarcastic comment. Holding his chest dramatically feeling offended. He playfully glared and turned his back to walk away but halted after hearing her sulk. The latter ran to her bed and was about to sit down but stopped after hearing Taeyeon speak.

"I don't want my room smelling like chicken. Can we go to yours instead!"

"Sooo wanna explain what happened?" the boy asked munching on his fries. "Hmm.. what do.. You mean?" she spoke between chewing her chicken. 

"Am I that weak that I need protection? .... I heard what you said. What was that about?"

"Oh that! .. umm" He raised his eyebrows staring at the girl who was avoiding his eyes. She was hesitating to speak so donghyuck grabbed her hand and rubbed circles slowly calming her down so she could feel more comfortable with whatever she was struggling to say. "Yeon you can tell me anything ok." He reassured her and gave her a soft smile.

Taeyeon sighed and nodded. "I feel like since I was a child I have always been weak and treated like a scapegoat in situations. I was never able to stand up for myself. But ever since I met Yong I think I changed and became stronger. He made me feel more accepted in this world which I once never felt. But he said something today that I need protection and that made me realise. He also seems to see me as a weak person. I don't want to be a burden for him. Hyuck !Tell me... am I weak? Be honest?"

Donghyuck's gaze lingered on her not looking away "No one is weak or strong in this world Yeon. It's an illusion which separates people from one another. Everyone is weak and strong at the same time. My weakness is the gang. Fearing that I will lose someone I care about but my strength is also them. The trust that I always will have their back. There are people in this world who look strong on the outside but they aren't. It's all an illusion. An act they put on to shield themselves from others, their fears and worries from the outside world.  But in your case, the Boss is only that you need protection not because you're weak  or anything. He is just looking out for you like a big brother."

The tone of his voice wasn't cheerful like always. His voice was deep, sincere and she knew that he was being serious and everything he said came from his heart. Grateful for his honest words she mouthed a thank you

Donghyuk grinned and let go of her hand to grab onto another chicken leg. "You know Hyuck.. I don't deserve a friend like you, like seriously!"

Donghyuck's eyes widened by a fraction by her sudden confession. He stared at her and stood up shuddering his shoulders and jumping at her cringe words "AHHH omg don't say thing like that" he laughed causing the girl to giggle. He climbed onto his bed closer to her and hugged her tight. "Your part of us Yeon. I care for everyone in the gang"

"Thank you" Taeyeon said, wrapping her arms around his torso. Donghyuck gently patted her back and backed off. "But can I ask you something?" he curiously stared at her not being able to hold himself back.

"Shoot!"

"You said that you felt more accepted in this world after you met Boss and that before you met him you didn't feel like that. You made it sound like you both aren't related. As if.... You're not siblings" Donghyuck tried to be careful with his words and hesitated slightly. Taeyeon's eyes widened not knowing how to respond.

"Like I kind of noticed how you both don't have much of a resemblance. Are you step siblings? But I don't think Old Boss Lee mentioned having two wives."

Donghyuck noticed her change in demeanor. Her eyes wandered around his room and she was fiddling with her fingers. She made a thin line with her lips. He instantly regretted asking something too personal. "Hey Yeon, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked you that." He rubbed her back and pouted feeling guilt. 

Taeyeon shook her head and gave a sad smile "No don't be... I want to tell you but I can't Hyuck. I'm sorry. Maybe another time." She stood up and got off the bed. " It's late! I'm going to wait in the living room for Yong to come back"

"They won't be back yet. They will come tomorrow morning"

"Oh.. hmm then I will go back to my room" she was walking towards the door when she felt warmth around her wrist. "I'm sorry" Taeyeon shook her head again "No I feel bad" he said quietly sorrow in his eyes. 

"It's fine" she patted his shoulder. "Then why do you look upset"

"I'm just worried about Yong" she didn't lie. She was extremely worried about him.

"Stay with me. We don't have school tomorrow anyway. Let's stay up and play some games and have a movie night" Donghyucks eyes dazzled with excitement. Taeyeon couldn't say no to him. A smile emerged on his lips. He pulled her onto his bed and they both tucked into the duvet surfing through Netflix to find a good show while munching on the last pieces of their chicken.

Donghyuck glanced at Taeyeon, she smiled slightly now and didn't look as down as she did at the beginning. Without realising he unconsciously smiled, happy that his best friend is doing better.

 Without realising he unconsciously smiled, happy that his best friend is doing better