Chapter 18- Stay

You guys, new freaking book covers! I decided I needed an upgrade from my other ones. What do you think, you like them?
..

Ava's POV.

"Thanks for the ride." I turned to Kylie who sat behind the driver's seat.

"Anytime.. I'll be right out here when you're done."

I nodded before exiting the car. I looked at the familiar red house.. Taylor's house. I need to do this, if I don't, I don't think I'll ever be able to fully move on. It's now or never.

I walked to the front door, holding my breath as I knocked.

It took a couple of minutes before it opened, and there he was. Standing on the other side of the doorway, his brown eyes full of emotion as they stared at me. My heart yearned for him all these years. But it's too late to go through this all over again. He needs to know that this can't happen again.. for the better.

"Can I come in?" I asked.

His expression remained blank but he nodded. I walked past him and into his house. I really was going to miss coming here.

"Why are you here?" His voice was low and saddened.

I turned to look at him and forced a smile. "I came to say goodbye."

"Goodbye?" He repeated, "Why are you saying goodbye."

I took a deep breath. This is it, just come out and say it. "I'm leaving.. I've been accepted into Juliard.. in New York."

His eyes immediately widened and his mouth slightly ajar. He remained silent as I continued, "I'm not mad amymore about what happened a few nights ago. I just want to forget about it.. forget about us. I've never been more grateful to have met anyone in my entire life. You've made me stronger, I'll always remember that. But we both know it's time to let go. We can't keep repeating the past. Me leaving to New York will give us the distance and seperation we need. I know it's going to be hard but we both-"

"Avalyn," He interrupted, "Y-You can't leave."

I paused, shocked by his reply. "What do you mean? I-I am leaving."

I didn't notice how close he was to me until I could feel his breath on my skin, creating goosebumps on my arms. Everything in my mind became scattered, and I lost the words I prepared to say. I felt the touch of his hand on my cheek, warmly grazing on my skin. His eyes stared at my lips as he bit his own, painfully restraining himself.

"I love you." He mumured, "Okay? I still love you. I'm not gonna try to hide it anymore. I thought that things were gonna be different after all this time.. but they're not. I look at you and my heart beats a mile a minute. Nothing's changed for me. And it hurts to see that everything's changed for you. I'm standing right in front of you, your skin underneath my fingertips.. I should feel close to you. But I only feel far away from you. You feel far away. And I've been gone for such a long time.. a long away from home.. This," He interwined our fingers together, "This is my home. You're my home. I forgot what it was like to feel happy again. Until I saw you.. and I want to feel like this for the rest of my life. So please, just stay."

I pulled away, speechless and tears flowing down my cheeks. I wanted so desperately to believe that everything was going to be alright. That I could stay and be with him, and be happy. But I need to do this. For me.

"I've been trying to fight my feelings ever since you came back. I've tried to fight it, but.. I can't. I love you. Alright? I love you. I've accepted it now. I always have and I always will, you have to know that. But.."

"But it's not enough to make you stay." He finished.

I shook my head solemnly and sniffled. "I can't stay here. I'm surrounded by so many memories, so much pain from the past and.. I have to get away. I have to start fresh. Maybe when we're older, and our minds are less hectic.. we could try again. But until then, I need to leave."

I stepped towards him and put my hand on his warm cheek. I warmly smiled before leaning in, softly pressing my lips on his. I shut my eyes tight and tried to grasp this memory for as long as I could. I was going to miss him.

I pulled back slightly, my hands still on his cheeks and rested my forhead on his.

"Thank you." I breathed, "For everything."

I backed away and walked out of the doorway. Leaving his house, his memories, and him.