Chapter 28- It's Not What It Looks Like

Ava's POV.

"Ava, take your break, you've been working your tiny petunia off. I'll take over." Joy reassured me as she lightly pat my back. I smiled at her gratefully and tiredly took off my my bright purple apron. I had sneaked a few meat pastries from the back, even though they were set out for all the employees. I made myself a cup of coffee and took a seat at the booth in the far corner, where most employees had their lunch break.

I yelped when I heard a knock on the glass window beside me. I turned and warmly smiled at the french blue eyed boy on the other side of the glass. He didn't a moment's hesitation before walking inside the shop and taking a seat across from me.

"Busy day, huh?"

I chuckled lazily as he noticed my exhausted features. Surely I looked like I had just gotten out of bed.

"How was school?" He asked.

"It was fine, just fine," I nodded, but the skeptical look on his face told me he knew something was wrong.

I shrugged in complete exhaustion before finally letting out a huff, "Okay, it was very.. stressful."

"I thought Juliard was your dream?" He asked very concerned, "Do you not like it?"

"No, I do," I reassured him, "It's just.. There are so many people from all over the states wanting to get into this school. And they chose me. Me, out of all these talented bright adults. I have to wonder if I really can do this. What if I can't live up to these expectations? What if I'm not good enough?"

He chuckled, oblivious to my taunting worries. "You stress too much Avalyn," he said, "They chose you because you are good enough. You're more than enough. You should not doubt yourself like this. It's not attractive."

I let out a laugh, bringing a smile to his face once again. It was the first time I laughed due to all this paranoia and stress. It felt good to have such a positive person in my life. And right now, I really needed it.

My lips settled into a straight line before I looked at Jasper once again. "I'm sorry about the other night,"

He chuckled as he waved off my apology, "Do not worry about it. You don't need to apologize. If anything, I came on too strong and it was too quick for you. And for that, I am sorry."

I leaned closer to him, putting my hand over his, "You shouldn't have to apologize for coming on too strong. It's my fault for not being ready. But who knows, maybe one day I will be."

A pained look overcame his face before he covered it up with his usual bright smile. "Well, if you want, I can walk you home. It's getting dark anyways."

I nodded in agreement and left the booth momentarily. I grabbed my stuff from the back and bid Joy a good night. I followed Jasper out of the shop and into the chilly night air.

We stood side by side, walking down the street in an comfortable silence.

"Jasper," I said, a bolt of confidence running through me. He stopped as well and looked at me in confusion. I stepped closer and closer to him until his face was mere inches away from mine. I had to know once and for all. "I'm ready."

Before he could question me, I crashed my lips onto his. The taste of his lips were unfamiliar, cold and thin. He instantly responded, his arms wrapping around my waist. His tongue unexpectedly entered my mouth, swiping against mine. It was unsettling but desperate to feel any emotion or spark, I deepened the kiss. I brought my hand up to his hair and lightly tugged at his strands, hoping he'd groan in response. Instead, he lightly grabbed my hand and pulled it away from his hair. I frowned midway in the kiss. An uncomfortable feeling started to crawl in my stomach, making me want to squirm in discomfort. This wasn't right.

I pulled away in disappointment. There really was no way to get over him. A confused look overcame his face as I looked down.

"Is everything okay?" He asked, grooming his hair back from where I had pulled it.

I shoook my head in response as I whispered, "I'm sorry. This was a bad idea. I think it's better we just stay-"

"Ava?" A voice spoke from behind me. A chill fled down my spine, but not because of the cold weather. But because I knew whose voice it belonged to.

I turned around slowly, my mouth still slight ajar as I stared at the figure in front of me. His features were completely still, revealing no emotion. His lips was sealed tight and his eyes faltered off of me.

"Taylor." I barely said above a whisper.

He stared at the ground, his shoulder slumped beside him as he shook his head. Without another word, he turned on his heels and started to walk away from me. I sniffled and gasped the tears that threatened to spill, and before my mind could process what I was about to do, I ran after him.

My feet repeatedly hit the ground faster and faster as I caught up to him. His head faced down to the floor and didn't bother to notice my presence as I tried to walk beside him.

"Taylpr please," I pleaded as I tried to walk in his pace, "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean for you see that. It was nothing, I swear. It wasn't what it looked like."

He continued to walk along the sidewalk, which only killed me further. He was showing absolutely no emotion, as if what he just saw had no affect on him. His face didn't reveal any anger or sadness or grief, and it scared the shit out of me.

His head turned up as the sound of a car was driving down the street. Without taking any glances at me, he ran towards the taxi and waved for it's attention.

"Taylor, please talk to me!" I screamed in desperation, my sorrowful voice thick with pain. He refused to listen to me as the car pulled along the sidewalk. I ran to him, crying for his attention as I pulled on his arm, trying tp stop him from getting inside the car.

"Say something to me, please. I'm so sorry baby, I'm so sorry." My sobs frequently getting stuck in my throat as Ibpleaded with him. A tear drop fell from my eye and onto his hand. He faintly winced and pulled away from my grasp harshly. He turned around, a cold dark stare, no sign of any grief or sorrow.

"You win Ava," he said in a clipped tone, "I'll stay out of your life from now on. I finally realized that no matter how hard I try, my love will never be enough for you. It never was. It's over now, you don't have to worry about me bothering you anymore."

Before I could protest with him, he trned around and smoothly climbed into the backseat before closing the car door. I bent down and banged on the car window, tears cascading down my cheeks as I cried, "Taylor, please. I love you, okay baby? I love you so much, please just stay. Stay with me."

He gaze remained straight ahead as he murmured something to the taxi driver. Before I could cry out any further, the taxi fled off down the street. I took a step back, small gasps leaving my mouth and into the frosty air that surrounded me. I shut my eyes as quiet sobs escaped my mouth, the darkness swallowed my cries with no mercy or guilt.

..

Looks like Taylor is finally done with Ava's shit. So far one of the most emotional chapters I had to write. Hoped you guys enjoyed.

But don't worry this isn't the end.