Chapter 24- A Kiss Is Worth More

Song for chapter- Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol.

Kylie's POV.

I had tried to look my best for this date with Jason. I never really had been one a real official date, if you count making out with Taylor in the back of his truck in a deserted parking lot. But besides that, I felt nervous but excited as the time neared for Jason to come pick me up. I had lessened my makeup, trying not to over do it. When I first started to wear makeup in middle school, Jason had always told me I looked better without it. He obviously didn't see me in the morning when I woke up. It felt good to know that flaws were accepted by someone who has always appreciated me. But no matter how long this self confidence lasted, I knew I would go back to my insecure self while I piled tons of makeup on my face to look okay. To feel okay.

I suddenly jumped a little as the doorbell rang out. Ava had already left with Jasper, so I was the last one out of the apartment. I rushed to the door and opened it, seeing Jason on the other side holding a single red rose. He had this shy smirk plastered on his face as he gave it to me. A warm, tingling feeling had begun to form in the pit of my stomach. It was a good feeling. Something I haven't felt in a long time.

"Shall we go?"

I nodded as I followed him out of the apartment building and into his car. I had tried to ask him where he was taking me while we drove to our mysterious destination, but he wouldn't budge. We had past magnificient skyscrapers along the way, and I couldn't stop admiring the city around me. It was always a dream to come to New York, and there was no way I would ever regret my decision. Not when I was sharing this dream with my new found friend and my bestfriend from long ago. I was starting to question where he was taking me when we had past buildings and in front of a forest. No, a park. A very, very big park.

"I-Is this Central Park?" I asked.

He looked at me and smiled shyly. "I didn't have money to take you to a fancy resturaunt. So I hope that taking a walk and catching up will be okay for now."

I smiled warmly at his gesture. He had wanted to spend genuine time with me. This was better than sitting down all night surrounded by wealthy, trying to stiffle our laughter so no one else would give us complaints. I think I would have preferred this over a fancy dinner anytime.

We go out of his car and started to walk through the park as the sky started to darken. Thank god it was summer time, or else I would have really wanted to be inside.

"How have you been Jason?" I chuckled remembering I hadn't seen this man for four years.

"I've been doing great. My mother is very excited you're here. She called me this morning and basically begged me to take you to her house soon for lunch."

"I'd love that." I grinned. "What have you been up to?"

"Nothing, really. I've been really getting into my music again. Just performing on the streets or in small clubs. Nothing big yet."

Jason always had the cliche dream of becoming a musician. But as he grew older, he dream started to fade when his dad had left. His mother had to support him on her own, and even sold his guitar to pay a month's rent.

"Girls must be chasing after like you wildfire." I tried to sound positive.

He chuckled and shook his head. "I've never really been interested in other girls. I still haven't had my first real relationship yet."

I was a little surprised at his words. He has been in New York, filled with beautiful women I'm sure. But he's never had a girlfriend?

"So how have things been back home? I bet things have changed for you ever since I left." He tried to change the subject.

My smile slowly started to fade from my face. They were different, but not in the way I wanted it too. My parents had grown distant, and I questioned wether they were going to get a divorce. They never did, but I secretly wished they had. The emotionless expression that remained on their faces as we sat for dinner. The love was gone, but both of them never admitted it. But what was worse, is that they ignored me in the process. They had only shown affection for me while were in the midst of other people. But behind closed doors, I was alone. I was always alone. And it made me such a bitter person. I had taken it out on the people around me. I was a terrible person, chasing after a love that wasn't meant for me. I was in desperate need for someone. For my bestfriend.

"I wish you never left." I murmured quietly, and the smile from his face vamished. He stopped in his tracks, now facing me.

"I'm so sorry." He said barely above a whisper. I knew his mother had accepted a job here to get away from her crappy job of waiting tables. But I had selfishly wished they could of stayed.

I felt his big warm hands cup both sides of my cheeks. He lifted my face up to look at him. I stared into his dark green eyes and distracted myself from thinking about his departure from long ago.

"I never wanted to leave you," he said softly, "I wanted to stay and be there for you. Protect you from people that would hurt you. Be there to comfort you when you needed me. I wanted you to need me. I wanted you to depend on me. But instead,I left you when you could of possibly needed me the most. And for that, I'm so sorry. I promise from now on, you will never have to worry about me leaving again."

His words were enough for me to start breaking out into tears right there. But instead, I mustered up my courage and leaned to him close. He seemed a little surprised as I pressed my lips softly on his. It didn't take long before he reacted and kissed me back. I almost sighed in relief as he held me close to him, never breaking the kiss.

In that moment, I forgave him for all those empty years and just focused on now. He was here now. And now, was my favorite memory.

..

"Thank you for tonight," I said as we stepped into the elevator. I pressed the button for my floor and the doors closed.

"I think I should be thanking you for tonight." He grinned as his hand held onto mine, intertwining our fingers together. He looked at me for a monent before leaning towards me and placing a gentle kiss on my lips. He pulled away and murmured, "Thank you."

I responded by kissing him once more before I heard a ding. The elevator doors opened and we both stepped out, our hands still connected. I stopped in my tracks when a figure was sitting outside my apartment door.

"Who is that?" Jason asked.

We both hesistantly neared my apartment. A suitcase flatly sat on the ground next to the person, and all I could make out was brunette hair. As we stepped closer, I started to get a bad feeling in my stomach, as if I already knew who the stranger was.

"Is that-?" His voice trailed off.

My eyes widened as the person's features became more clear underneath the dim light of the hallway.

I was right.. it was him.

"Shit."

..

DUN DUN DUN! *cackles evily*

Who do you think the stranger is? Hmm?

Anyways, on another note, I am currently reading a Harry Styles fanfic called "Crazed" and it is sooo gooood. I'm on chapter 50 and I HIGHLY suggest you read it, it's written by @1d_jollygood she is such a great writer! But if you are not into mysterious, paranormal stuff, then it'd probably not for you. But trust me, it is definetly worth looking into.

I hope you liked this update! I don't know about you guys, but I'm certainly glad that Kylie is getting a little happy ending for herself. She has been a terrible person to Ava in the past, but you know that saying "Hurt people hurt others." Or something like that. After she struggled for so long to forget about Taylor, it's nice to finally see her have a fresh start.

The next chapter will be Ava's POV and her 'date' with Jasper. Leave your comments on what you think about Jasper or Kylie's relationship with Jason. Or anything really. Don't forget to vote also! Love you you guys.

Sincerely, Sammie.