Chapter 14 ~ How could I be so mistaken in a person ...?

Victoria's Pov.

Some time had passed since the Death Eater meeting.
Unfortunately, we didn't make any progress with the vanishing Cabinet either.
Draco and me you could see the stress fully, we had dark circles under our eyes that reached to the chin and with our pale skin we were competing with a white canvas.
We only had October, which gave us enough time to work on the Cabinet, which we urgently needed.
Since it was Saturday today, I slept until 9:00 am and then finally got up.
I didn't feel like taking a shower, I would make up for that tonight, so I went into the common room, which seemed to have been swept empty, except for a certain Draco Malfoy who was sitting on one of the couches.
I went to the sofa and when he noticed me, he pulled my hand to him and so abruptly that I almost fell on him if he hadn't caught me.
He pulled me onto his lap and kissed me.  It must have been days when he kissed me alone and full of emotions.
A little over two months ago I never thought I'd get together with Draco Malfoy, but life always plays a trick on you.
It is what many call fate, but whether there is such a thing remains to be debated.
Many would say that if Draco and I hadn't been given this assignment, we would never have gotten together, but I say it was all a great coincidence.
It was a coincidence that we both shared the exact same fate, but it was a damn good coincidence.
When we broke up, however, we met each other's eyes for a long time, his gray eyes contained a storm full of emotions.
Feelings like fear, love, hope and so many more.
I took his face in my hands, caressed his cheek and asked him "Where is Zabini anyway?"
He didn't answer but kissed me again and so I forgot everything around me and didn't notice Blaise Zabini, who was just trotting out of his dormitory, "Hah, I knew it, I knew that you guys would get together this school year!"  he called wide awake now.
Draco and I didn't see this coming and we fell apart because of it.
Draco turned bright red and looked at the floor, embarrassed.
I found this very amusing, however, as I actually thought Draco had already told Zabini about us.
Well, Hogwarts is always good for surprises.

Since there were no classes today, Draco and I decided to go to the library again, as we normally would every day.
We were able to get rid of Merlin, thanks to Blaise, because it would be difficult to explain why we went to the library on a Saturday to find out about a vanishing Cabinet.

We started looking at 10:00 a.m., now it was already 3:00 p.m., we had missed lunch, again.
I had already read all the books that were on the table at least once, and yet I still hoped to find something important in them.
I was so exhausted that the letters circled in front of my inner eyes, Draco seemed desperate too, because he was trying to read three books at the same time, which would have looked really funny under other circumstances, but now it was just sad.
I was so irritated that you just had to look at me crookedly and then I would have freaked out.
And sadly, Draco was undoed, even though he wasn't in a better mood.
Draco tossed the book a little roughly in my direction and hit my hand lightly, at that moment I just let go of all the emotions I had and I sniffed at Draco ...
"Hey, you can't be careful, you're always as considerate as the Dark Lord himself."
Draco looked at me with wide eyes and replied a little sourly.
"How, you compare me to the dark lord!!!
"You are more like a Hufflepuff, because he doesn't get anything done either, I think you ended up in the wrong house."
"And I think you ran up somewhere, compare me to someone else, criticize everything about me, maybe you are the one who doesn't get anything done, have you ever thought about it?"
I got up with a jerk, the table began to shake badly and glared at him.
What was he actually thinking of? Now he blames me for the fact that the Vanishing Cabinet didn't work.
"Does that mean that you blame me for the broken vanishing cabinet?" He did the same and also stood up, now we stood opposite each other and stared viciously into each other's eyes, then he replied
"Well, somebody's got to be to blame and it's not me, so who's left, you can guess three times, yes exactly YOU!"
I hit the table with my fist firmly and shouted: "AT LEAST I AM NOT A PAMPERED GUY WHO CANNOT GET ANYTHING WITHOUT MAMI OR DAD !!!"
What he said then broke the barrel ...
"AT LEAST I HAVE PARENTS WHO LOVE ME, AT LEAST MY MOTHER WHO WOULD NEVER TORTURE ME AS YOUR PARENTS !!!"
That sat ...
I clapped him so that my handprint was on his cheek and rushed off.
How could I be so mistaken in a person ...?

The weeks passed and it was soon Halloween.
I haven't spoken a word to Draco since the argument.
I noticed that something was missing and yet I felt as free again, as carefree as I used to be, before I got this task from the dark lord.
Before I got involved with Draco.
I felt relief inside and yet I missed something.
I missed Draco's kisses on my neck, I missed his mint smell and most of all I missed the feeling of not being alone in this world.
But this is now a thing of the past.
From now on, each of us will work alone on the Vanishing Cabinet, so I made my way to the Room of Requirement.

As always, the room was full of junk and miscellaneous items.
I uncovered the cabinet and got to work, I tried every spell I had read, but nothing worked.
I knew what would happen if we fail to fix the Vanishing Cabinet.  The dark lord would personally torture us and then kill us.
Nobody would get away with it.
Many innocent people are sure to die too.
And if we do manage to fix it somehow, Dumbledore still has to die ...

After endless hours of desperation, in which I had not even made a little progress with the Vanishing Cabinet, I made my way back to the common room, but when I wanted to leave the Room of Requirement, something held me back, or rather someone held me back.
Malfoy.
He held my hand tightly, but I immediately snatched it away from him.
"Victoria please, listen to me, I'm so sorry for everything, I know it's been so damn hard lately, but together we can do it, please forgive me, I know I wouldn't have said that about your parents, you had it hard enough anyway ... "
"Yes, that's right, you shouldn't have said that and no, I don't forgive you, the worst thing a person can do is break one's trust and you did that and now leave me alone and never speak to me again  .
I was so wrong about you, Malfoy! "
When I called him by his last name, he winced like a beaten dog and looked at me hurt, then I ran away.

Why does everything have to be so difficult, it is never easy, it is never easy and it never will be.
But will I be able to do the job on my own?

Maybe I'll perish from it too ...