Chapter 59 ~ Evil is a consuming fire...

Victoria's Pov.

"Stop!" Voldemort called in a hissing voice.
I saw the half-giant stagger slightly from the sudden stop.
I increased my stride and caught up with the other Death Eaters.
I felt a chill settle over the grounds and heard the rattling breath of the dementors patrolling around Hogwarts.
They kept their distance from the Death Eaters on Voldemort's orders.
"Harry Potter is dead. He was killed running away trying to save himself while you gave your lives for him.
We bring you his corpse as proof that your hero died.
The battle is won.  You lost half your fighters.
My Death Eaters outnumber you, and the boy who survived is dead.
The war must not last any longer.
Anyone who continues to resist, whether man, woman or child, will be slaughtered, as will every member of their family.
Come out of the castle immediately, kneel before me and you will be spared.
Your parents and children, your brothers and sisters will live.
They will be forgiven and you will join me in the new world we will build together." Voldemort's magically amplified voice echoed across the grounds.
Silence fell over the castle grounds and nothing could be heard from the castle either.
No one came out of the safe walls.
No one faced Voldemort's followers and himself.
"Come!" he commanded the former game warden, who was being forced to follow the dark lord.
I moved closer to Hagrid to understand what he was sobbing as he tried to say it.
"Harry....- Oh, Harry....Harry....."
I saw a few tears fall from the half-giant's eyes and onto the lifeless body of the chosen one.
Voldemort walked in front of his followers and continued towards the castle walls.
Everywhere the taunting voices of the Death Eaters reached my ears as they continued to trample on the remains of Hogwarts.
"STOP!" came the Dark Lord's voice again.
All followers stopped.
With a tight show of hands performed by Voldemort, all the Death Eaters swarmed out.
I stepped next to my mother, who proudly placed her hand on my shoulder, and I saw the other masked people line up in front of the school's open portal.
The light from the entrance hall flooded the open area with a reddish glow.
I stared spellbound at the portal.
It could only be seconds before the Hogwarts forces would emerge from the castle and line up in front of the enemies.
All the sadness, anger and pain was building up inside me.
I didn't give a damn that I was covered in blood and dirt.
Here we were, at the point I wanted to avoid.
Hogwarts students, teachers, parents and Aurors now faced us and we Death Eaters came with the fallen hero.
"NO!" a yell rang out from across the campus.
The scream was all the more horrible as I never knew Professor McGonagall could utter such a sound.
I heard my mother laughing hysterically next to me, enjoying McGonagall's desperation.
The open portal filled with more and more people.
The survivors of the battle came out onto the front steps to face the victors and see Potter's death for themselves.
"No!" Ginny Weasley's pained scream echoed through the ranks of those present.
She wanted to run towards the lifeless body but was stopped by her father, Arthur Weasley.
"Be quiet!  Stupid girl.  Harry Potter is dead.
From today, you will only follow one.  Me!” the dark lord silenced little Weasley and announced Potter's final death in a triumphant voice.
"HARRY POTTER IS DEAD!!!!"
All the Death Eaters started laughing and the dark lord joined in for the first time.
I let my gaze wander over the Hogwarts students.
I felt Blaise's look of shock and disappointment on me.
I caught his eye.
He couldn't even look at me.
It broke my heart.
I would have loved to have walked up to him.
I knew he would find out at the wrong moment.
I turned away from him, hands shaking, and looked down.
My vision was partially blurred.
A single tear found its way and ran down my cheek until it fell to the floor.
The dark lord was still laughing, raising his hands triumphantly and bowing slightly.
Again screams rang out from the Hogwarts warriors.
A few Death Eaters raised their voices as well.
The survivors hurled insults at the supporters.
They shrieked and yelled.
"SILENCE!" Voldemort yelled angrily, there was a bang and a bright flash of light.
Everyone was forced to be silent.
"It's over!  Put him, Hagrid, at my feet where he belongs."
He clasped his hands together and looked down at the chosen one lying at his feet.
"Do you see?  Harry Potter is dead!
Do you understand now, you dupes?
He was never anything but a boy who relied on others to sacrifice themselves for him!
He screeched again, laughing and an eerie grin formed on his snakelike features.
"He defeated you!" Ron Weasley roared, the spell breaking and the Hogwarts defenders yelled and shouted again until a second, even more powerful bang choked their voices once more.
"He was killed trying to sneak away from the castle grounds," Voldemort said, his voice taking pleasure in the lie, "killed trying to save himself."
“And now is the time to confess yourselves.
Step forward and join and join.  Or die." Voldemort said, but no one stepped forward until Lucius Malfoy called for his son.
"Draco," he motioned to him.
The Ice Prince wrestled with himself.
He caught my eye and looked at me with a pained expression on his face.
It wasn't until Narcissa called her son too that young Malfoy broke away from the crowd and ran towards the ranks of the Death Eaters.
The dark lord stopped him and hugged him.
Draco closed his eyes in agony and I realized how awkward he was at this moment.
As Voldemort pulled away from him, the Ice Prince lowered his gaze and stepped past the Dark Lord.
With sluggish steps he ran towards his mother, who took him in her arms for a moment.
She let go of him and he stepped next to me without making a fuss.
With trembling hands he took my right hand and I tightened the grip.
His gaze was directed straight ahead.
I followed his eyes and realized someone broke away from the crowd.
Someone I never expected...