Chapter 39 ~ It's too late to back down...

Victoria's Pov.

The day of days has now come.
The week went by very quickly.
Draco and I lived the last seven days as if they were our last.
It might not have been entirely true, but we wouldn't be seeing Hogwarts again anytime soon.
And certainly not in the state Hogwarts was in at the moment.
The next time Draco and I set foot in our second home, everything would be in ruins if the dark lord allowed us to live until the final battle.
When Blaise heard about the argument between Draco and Potter, he decided to talk things out with his best friend.
They didn't want to just throw away the years of friendship and didn't want to pretend that it never existed.
I was glad that young Malfoy had his other half back.
Despite the current situation, I realized that Blaise was helping him deal with the situation better.
Even if Zabini had no idea.
We couldn't tell him.
It would only have made things harder.
Everything was going to change at Hogwarts anyway.
After Dumbledore's death and our disappearance, other actions will certainly be taken at Hogwarts.
They'll drastically increase security and probably keep an eye on the Slytherins.
While no other student in my house bore the dark mark on their left forearm, they all came from a Death Eater family.
Although I was not a friend of prejudice, I could not refute this.
With so many prejudices, there will always be one or two that are not fictitious and contain more truth than others.
Blaise had suggested spending the day at the Black Lake.
A distraction was just what Draco and I needed.
We wanted to enjoy the last day and not hold it in bad memories.
The Ice Prince had taken my left hand and was following his best friend, who was about two meters ahead of us.
He had a blue picnic blanket tucked under his arm and with his other hand he opened the large oaken gate that led to Hogwarts grounds.
I caught up with Draco and followed him to the black lake.
The wind felt pleasantly warm on my skin.
Nevertheless, I felt the extreme heat after just a few minutes.
I noticed small beads of sweat forming on my forehead.
Also, the fabric of my blouse stuck to my arms and didn't let any air through.
I could also see that Draco found it unbearable in the long clothes.
It was late June already, so Blaise was dressed appropriately for the weather.
He wore a shirt, knee-length pants and seemed to feel comfortable in his own skin.
He headed for the spot under the big tree and spread the picnic blanket under him.
He sat down on the blanket and waited for us to join him.
Leaning against Draco, I closed my eyes for a brief moment and sucked in the fresh summer air into my lungs.
I didn't feel like joining in the conversation Draco and Blaise were having.
I continued to keep my eyes closed.
Every time Draco laughed, my head would shake at his heaving chest.
I noticed how much he was joking around with his best friend and forgot, at least for a moment, what was about to happen today.
"I didn't think this would hold up after what happened." Blaise laughed happily, taking a sip from his water bottle.
"Me neither!" I joked provocatively and opened my eyes.
I couldn't help but smile crookedly.
"What's that supposed to mean?" he asked Ice Prince honestly and nudged my side challengingly.
"You're seriously asking me that, you're really not that easy." I laughed cheekily and rubbed my left side, which he had pinched me earlier.
He snorted in amusement and crossed his arms in mock insult.
"I told you from the start that you'd get Viktoria eventually!" Blaise said, glad he was right.
I raised an eyebrow in confusion and questioned what I had just said.
"What do you mean 'from the start'?" I asked Zabini, taking turns looking at him and Draco.
I noticed young Malfoy shake his head slightly, but his best friend didn't seem to notice.
"Well, Draco has had a crush on you for ages," Blaise dropped the bombshell and I could see the Ice Prince's cheeks turning bright red.
"Is that true?" I asked, turning to Draco, realizing how uncomfortable the situation was for him.
"Maybe," said the just mentioned sheepishly and scratched the back of his head in embarrassment.
I just laughed and shook my head, entwining my fingers in his.
As I let my gaze wander over the lake, I realized how late it actually was, since the sun was starting to set.
My hands got slightly sweaty and I noticed my heart rate increase and my breathing quickened.
I elbowed Draco slightly in the side and pointed slightly towards the sunset.
He understood immediately and tightened the grip of our hands.
"Blaise, promise you won't leave the common room today," I begged Draco's best friend, hoping he wouldn't argue.
"Why?" he asked and slowly rolled up the picnic blanket again.
"I can not tell you that...
I'm just asking you to stay in the common room.
It's for your own good," I repeated, waiting for his response.
"Okay," I heard his voice muffled in my ears and saw him tuck the blanket back under his arm.
"See you later." Blaise said goodbye, raising his hand in farewell and making his way back into the castle.
"Yes, see you soon..." Draco called after him in a slightly shaky voice and turned to me in panic.
"Are you ready?" I asked him and only got a slight nod.
I knew it wasn't him and he wanted to back down now.
How could one ever be ready for something like that.
"Okay, let's go then..." I instructed him and tightened the grip of our hands.
It's time...