Chapter 52 ~ Hope in this hopeless world...

Victoria's Pov.

As a Death Eater...
As a servant of the dark lord you always had something to do.
You were always sent on missions.
There was always work to be done.
But at least the time flew by.
I'd rather risk my life out in the magical world than sit idly by in Malfoy Manor.
I hated the Malfoy estate.
You always felt like you were being watched.
One always had the feeling that nothing went unnoticed.
I rarely spent my time at the Manor.
Most of the time I was out with the other trailers.
Penetrated the Ministry and took part in the search for the chosen one.
I couldn't exactly say why I let Potter go back then and didn't betray him.
I did not know it.
Had no idea why I did this.
But in that moment it felt right.
I couldn't betray him.
Even if I risked my life doing it, I would do it again.
I could say one thing for sure.
If the Dark Lord killed Potter, then nothing would end...
Then the reign of terror would really begin.
With Potter dead, other things would be set in motion.
Other things you can't imagine in your worst nightmares.
With each passing day, the Dark Lord's power increased.
With each additional follower, whether voluntary or forced by the Imperius Curse, his power increased.
Voldemort was becoming more and more aware that he was invincible.
Nobody could harm him.
I didn't really believe that Potter was capable of ending Lord Voldemort's reign.
I couldn't imagine that the chosen one would be able to destroy the dark lord once and for all.
But this gave many people hope.
Hope in this hopeless world...

My Death Eater cloak scraped the dirt floor and the metal mask partially obscured my vision.
The warm wind made the fabric of the cloak flutter.
I tightened my grip on my wand and strode down the tracks.
It wouldn't be too long before the Hogwarts Express would come this way.
My shoes kicked up the dry ground as I eyed the other Death Eaters.
Due to my kinship with Bellatrix Lestrange, my mother, every single follower of the Dark Lord treated me with respect and sometimes reverence.
Every Death Eater knew how much Voldemort valued my mother.
Also through my missions and assignments, I became more and more valued in the ranks of the Death Eaters.
Raising my gaze and following the tracks, I could make out the small red steam train rattling on the tracks at breakneck speed on the horizon, and made eye contact with a tall trailer of Voldemort's.
I motioned for him to stop the train and kept my eyes on him.
He nodded briefly and walked slowly onto the tracks.
He came to a halt in the middle of them and waited for the Hogwarts Express to approach.
When the train driver could make out the black, hooded figures beside and on the tracks, there was a deafening squeak as he applied the brakes.
The Death Eater on the tracks hadn't moved a bit when the red steam engine pulled to a halt inches in front of him.
I took a deep breath and started walking.
With menacing strides, followed by the other followers, I approached the Hogwarts Express and came to a halt in front of the door that led to the interior of the train.
I narrowed my eyes at the driver of the steam engine and waited for the door to open in my face.
He got up trembling from his seat and went with hectic steps to the door where we were waiting.
When I could make out the driver behind the glass, I tapped it with the tip of my wand and waited until he was able to open the door from the inside.
With a loud rumble, the train's door opened.
I entered the Hogwarts Express with slow steps, stopping inches from the driver.
"Next time, don't make us wait so long!" I hissed menacingly and turned away from him.
I let my eyes wander over the students who were in this compartment and realized that they were first years since each of them had a colored tie tied around their neck.
Some of them moved closer to the window as we passed them.
Others found the old, greasy carpet on the floor extremely interesting, and the rest of the 11-year-olds couldn't take their eyes off us.
I walked past the compartments and entered the next car.
Again we didn't find anything.
I figured Potter wouldn't be so stupid and take the Hogwarts Express to Hogwarts.
I averted my gaze from the Hufflepuffs and entered the Slytherin compartment.
Unconsciously I had adjusted my mask and pushed the black hood of the Death Eater cloak over my head so that my hair was no longer visible.
I knew who would be in that wagon.
I would see Blaise again now and my former classmates would also be in this compartment.
If Parkinson or anyone else recognized me, I wouldn't have cared.
But I wanted to avoid Blaise finding out as much as possible.
I tightened my wand grip and walked between the tables and benches.
I recognized a few.
I could also make out Blaise and Parkinson in a corner of the car.
Some of the Slytherins met us with disinterest, others eyed us critically.
Blaise Zabini also followed my every move with his eyes and I could read disgust on his face.
I turned away from my former best friend and left the Slytherin compartment with shaking hands.
I took off my hood and ran a hand through my hair.
In front of me was the last train car that the Gryffindors must be in.
I opened the door blocking my way and entered the Gryffindor compartment.
There was murmuring from all sides.
Some seemed to have recognized me and called my name.  And not just once.
It was clear to me that this would happen.
That was Voldemort's intention as well.
I walked to the end of the train where I could make out Longbottom and Ginny Weasley.
"Get back out, Harry's not here!" the Gryffindor snapped, rising from his seat.
I ignored him and raised my voice.
"He's not here, let's go." I said to the other Death Eaters and turned on my heel.
With brisk steps, I ran to the other end of the train and exited the red steam engine.
When I was back in front of the tracks, I waited until the last follower of Voldemort had gotten off the train and gave the driver a critical look before the Hogwarts Express started moving again and started its journey again.
I followed the steam train with my eyes until it rounded my bend and was out of sight.
Turning my back on the tracks, I turned to the other Death Eaters and nodded curtly.
Wondering where the chosen one was, I turned in place and Apparated back into Malfoy Manor.