Chapter 58 ~ Only the dead saw the end of the war...

Victoria's Pov.

As the Killing Curse struck the Chosen One, Voldemort was knocked off his feet by a tremendous blast.
I turned away from the prone wizard and closed my eyes with shaking hands.
I clasped them behind my back again and felt an oppressive feeling build up in my chest.
I found it difficult to breathe.
Every single fiber of my body struggled to believe that the chosen one was finally dead.
All was lost.
The dark lord would now seize control of the magical world.
Nothing had an end.
It would only get worse.
Not long ago, I realized what Dumbledore was trying to explain to me with his story back then.
He said I wasn't destined to be on the evil side because of my family and lineage.
To fight on Voldemort's side.
He knew that one day I would understand.
That I had a choice
A choice to live my life.
I didn't have to prove anything to anyone.
I was free to choose, even if it meant my death.
Slowly and lazily, I opened my eyes again and looked at the place where the dark lord had been standing a few seconds ago.
He was thrown backwards about a meter and landed with a thud on the dirt forest floor.
The sound of hasty footsteps, whispers, and murmurs of concern filled the air.
"Mr .  .  .  Mr .  .  ." came my mother's voice and she spoke to Voldemort as if to a lover.
"Lord..." she gasped again.
"That's enough," Voldemort said in a cool voice.
Individual Death Eaters hastily moved away from the Dark Lord and returned to the crowd around the clearing.
Voldemort slowly rose, his back hunched.
"Lord, let me-"
"I don't need any help!" the dark lord spoke coolly and I saw my mother pull back her helpfully outstretched hand.
"Boy .  .  .  is he dead?"
There was complete silence in the clearing.
No one approached the chosen one, but everyone looked spellbound to the young magician lying on the ground.
"You," Voldemort said, pointing a bony finger at Narcissa, who flinched at the Dark Lord's gaze.
"Examine him.  Tell me if he's dead."
Voldemort shied away from getting close to Potter, apparently suspecting something hadn't gone according to plan.
Narcissa Malfoy walked slowly away from her husband, stepping past the fire in the center of the clearing.
When she got to Potter, she crouched down next to him and lowered her head to his chest.
After a few seconds she got up again and turned her body towards the dark lord.
"He's dead!" Narcissa Malfoy shouted at the bystanders and I felt my heart skip a beat for a moment.
All the Death Eaters started screaming.
They howled in triumph and stamped their feet.
Red and silver beams of light were shot into the air in celebration.
"See?" Voldemort shrieked over the noise.
"Harry Potter has died by my hand and now there is none among the living who could be a danger to me!  Crucio!”
I had guessed that Potter's corpse wasn't allowed to remain unsullied on the floor of the forest.
She had to be desecrated to prove Voldemort's victory.
The chosen one's limp body was lifted into the air.
One, two, three times Potter was thrown into the air.
His glasses flew off while his whole body remained limp.
As Voldemort dropped the body of the boy who survived to the ground one last time, sneers and high-pitched laughter echoed across the clearing.
"Well then," the dark lord raised his voice.
"Let's go to the castle and show them what has become of their hero.
Who is dragging the body?  No - wait -' Voldemort pointed his long, bony fingers at the former Hogwarts gamekeeper.
"You carry it!"
Laughter broke out again and the ground shook under Hagrid's enormous bulk.
"He'll look nice and visible in your arms, won't he?" Voldemort exclaimed triumphantly, taking a step toward the prone body.
"Pick up your little friend, Hagrid.  And the glasses - put the glasses on him!  You have to be able to see who it is."
A Death Eater from the front rows ran towards the fallen glasses, picked them up and deliberately rammed them roughly in the chosen one's face.
But the game warden rocked the dead boy gently in his massive hands.
I could see Hagrid's arms shaking with heavy sobs.
"Go!" Voldemort called urgently and the half-giant stumbled forward.
I pushed my hood off my head and, with hesitant steps, began to move as well, picking my way through the densely growing trees.
All of the Death Eaters and the giants followed Voldemort back through the forbidden forest.
Some twigs caught in my hair and robe.
The two giants stampeded after the Death Eaters.
I could hear trees creaking and falling behind me.
The giants made such a roar that birds took to the skies screeching and even the taunting shouts of the Death Eaters were drowned out.
The triumphal procession marched towards the open country and the forest gradually began to thin out.
I kept my head slightly bowed and breathed shallowly.
My feet carried me over the wet grass by themselves and I felt a light breeze blowing through my hair.
It was like slowing down time.
I looked around and everyone around me was moving in slow motion.
No sounds reached my ears.
I could no longer feel the wind on my neck.
It felt like I was in an air bubble.
Secluded from external events.
I sluggishly moved forward, feeling my heart pounding in my ears with every breath I took.
I couldn't think of anything else at that moment.
All my thoughts revolved around the dead boy in Hagrid's arms.
He was our last hope.
The last hope of winning this battle and turning things around for the better.
With trembling and slightly numb fingers, I gripped the metal Death Eater mask that still covered my face.
I wiped myself gently and examined them closely in my hands.
My fingers tightened on the metal.
I closed my eyes for a moment before loosening my grip and letting the mask fall to the floor with a thud.
I didn't even turn to look at her, raising my head with effort.
The remains of the castle appeared before my eyes and I knew no matter what was to come, it was over...