Chapter 28 ~ Commissioned by Tom Marvolo Riddle

Victoria's Pov.

So many muggles!
All useless scum.
I was on the streets of London trying not to put a few spells on everyone.
But I was forbidden to do this.
I was forbidden from killing muggles, wizards and witches today.
I should be as inconspicuous as possible.
Nobody should know about this.
At least not right away.
My long cloak dragged on the floor, making my appearance even more frightening.
My appearance was reflected in the shop windows and my sight was also reflected on the wet street.
Hood pulled low over my face, I continued on my way, ignoring the stares from the unsuspecting muggles.
I turned left and then right once.
Crossed several streets and intersections.
Walked through small narrow streets and tried to find the place I was looking for.
My robe was soaked through and was hanging heavily on my body.
When I got to a completely crowded shopping street, I lowered my head and looked at the ground.
So close to the finish, it would be fatal if someone recognized me.
It wasn't just Muggles that hung out on this street.
Every second person that comes your way could be magical.
I risked a quick glance to make sure I'd reached my destination.
I was standing in front of an old, broken and shabby looking red phone booth.
I turned once to make sure no one was watching and entered the phone booth.
I picked up the phone and looked around one last time.
I didn't think of staying here
so many people would stay in a seedy corner of central London.
I turned to the dial pad and entered the number
"62443".
When nothing happened for a while, I became suspicious.
However, until an official woman's voice sounded out of nowhere and gave me some instructions.
After that I sank under the ground with the floor of that telephone booth and about a minute later I arrived in the entrance hall of the Ministry building with this strange elevator.
When I left the phone booth, I was bumped into several times.
There were a lot of witches and wizards who wanted to get from A to B as quickly as possible and therefore didn't show any consideration for others.
I looked around and saw that many of those present had flooed or Apparated into the Ministry.
Since the incident last year.
Where the golden trio and entourage had broken into the Ministry and there was a battle between the Death Eaters and the Dark Lord against Dumbledore and the Order of the Phoenix, security was drastically increased.

The hall looked magnificent with its dark polished parquet floor and myriad gold ornaments and trellis throughout.
Gold in the peacock blue ceiling, door surrounds and the many open fireplaces along both side walls. In the center of the hall was a fountain whose water emanates from the accessories of a group of golden figures.
This Ministry Reception Hall is eight levels underground. In an adjoining room of the hall there are several magically operated elevators behind golden bars that bring visitors, employees and memos up to the various departments.

The highest level, just below ground level, is the Executive Floor, where the Office of the Minister for Magic is located. To get there, the lift passes through six levels, each housing a ministry department. Below the entrance hall there are two special levels.
On the ninth floor is the seventh ministry department. This level can still be reached by elevator. The only way to get to the tenth and lowest level of the ministry building is by a staircase from the ninth floor.

My assignment takes me to the fourth floor.
To the "Department for the Governing and Control of Magical Creatures"
Based on the claim of supremacy of magical people over all other magical beings, the authorities located there deal with the many tasks and aspects of peaceful, beneficial and safe coexistence with all the different ways. Wizards and witches determine without being asked whether other creatures can have a say in their fate, how dangerous they are, whether they are assigned habitats and whether and how they are allowed to use magic.

And that's where I come in.
My assignment is as follows: At the request of the dark lord, I am to break into the large files hall on the fourth floor and steal important information.
Important information that the dark lord will need in the all-important battle.
I am to locate the files containing the whereabouts of magical beings not recognized by the Wizarding Society and take them with me and bring them to the Dark Lord.

I walk quickly towards the elevators, enter them and press the button for the fourth floor.
I stand inconspicuously in the farthest corner of the elevator and try to disappear into it while the elevator fills more and more with employees and visitors.
The elevator began to move, stopping at each floor.
As we pulled to a stop on the fourth floor, I tried to slip past the other wizards and witches as unobtrusively as possible.
The fewer people see me the better.

I turned into several corridors and tried to get an overview.
The floor was huge, which didn't necessarily make the filing hall any easier to find.
I wandered through the dark hallways for what felt like hours until I turned a corner and saw Professor Dumbledore conversing with the new Minister for Magic, Rufus Scrimgeour.
I immediately took a step back and hid behind the cold stone wall in the hallway I had just come from.
I was missing that.
If someone were to come out of the aisle I'm in now, I'd be trapped.
And of all things, Dumbledore had to be in the hallway where the filing room was located.
I risked a quick glance, peering around the corner with one eye, but had to pull my head back quickly as the principal was looking straight in my direction.
If he actually saw me, that was my death sentence.
I waited a few more minutes and heard footsteps move away.
I risked another look and to my surprise, the hallway was empty.
I got up and walked quietly, with deliberate steps, towards the door behind which was the information I needed to gather.
I took my wand out of my boot, held it to the door lock and said "Alohomora".
There was a short click and the door was open.
I looked left and right one last time, made sure I was alone and entered the room.

I closed the door behind my back and went in search of the files.
The room was huge.
There were big shelves everywhere.
Crammed with alphabetically ordered boxes containing hundreds of files.
I made a beeline for a shelf that had a sign on it that read "Werewolves, Giants, Centaurs, and Dementors."
I took the files, put them in my bag and left the room.
Not wanting to leave any obvious clues, I locked the door again and made my way back.

Once back on the streets of London, I turned down an alley and Apparated into Malfoy Manor to bring the dark lord the information he wanted.