Chapter 54 ~ If you're still standing, keep fighting...!

Victoria's Pov.

"Attacks...!"
I gripped Draco's hand tightly in mine.
I had no intention of breaking into Hogwarts single-handedly and breaking up with the Ice Prince.
We had vowed not to leave each other's sides in battle.
As the Dark Lord gave his command, I tightened the pressure on our hands and slowly began to move.
"Draco..." I heard the hissing voice of the dark lord behind my back and goosebumps spread all over my body.
Young Malfoy turned to Voldemort but didn't let go of my hand.
"Draco...I have a task for you!" the dark lord spoke in an unnervingly calm voice.
He slowly walked towards the Ice Prince while Nagini sprawled on the grass at his feet.
"Why are you standing here doing nothing, make your master proud!" Voldemort turned to me, eyes narrowed to slits, and eyed me suspiciously.
I reluctantly pulled my hand from Draco's and felt my fingers slip through his.
I sincerely hoped that the Dark Lord would not punish Draco for his and his father's failures with this task.
I nodded curtly, pulled the hood of my Death Eater cloak over my head, and tightened my grip on my wand.
I saw my knuckles turn white, but didn't relax my grip.
The grass yielded slightly under my weight, cushioning my every step.
I increased my pace and started running.
I walked across the Hogwarts grounds and past the Quidditch field, which was partly reduced to rubble and ash.
The Death Eaters had done a great job setting it on fire.
I looked back at the wooden bridge and saw Scabior giving an order to his people.
The Grabbers and Death Eaters ran over the wooden structure at tremendous speed.
They all squeezed together through the narrow space.
I saw the snatchers shooting multicolored flashes of light, apparently trying to destroy someone inside the wooden bridge with the curses.
But suddenly there was a loud bang.
The bridge began to sway and gradually dissolved more and more.
It broke in half, causing the Death Eaters and Grabbers inside the wooden structure to fall.
She fell, killing more than four dozen of Voldemort's followers.
Some of the Death Eaters managed to disperse into black smoke at the last moment, avoiding their end.
The other Death Eaters, who were still standing safely in front of the wooden bridge that had just collapsed, all dissolved in black smoke and flew over their fallen comrades-in-arms.
They raced over the walls of the castle while the giants forced their way inside the castle.
Fireballs and curses were shot at the front of Hogwarts.
And the magicians and witches fled to the safe walls.
I ran towards Hogwarts and crossed the threshold, stepping through the shattered oak portal and dodging a bolt of red light that was hurled specifically at me.
I looked over my shoulder for a shock of blonde hair.
My eyes searched for Draco, but I couldn't see him anywhere.
I took a mighty leap to the right when a giant swung his club and almost hit me.
Unnoticed, I entered another corridor and walked down the long corridor.
I hoped Draco didn't have any trouble completing his task since I wasn't able to help him.
I had no idea where I was right now.
With all the rubble, it wasn't easy to keep your bearings as everything looked very different.
Huge holes had been blasted in the walls everywhere.
Boulders seemed to have loosened from the ceiling.
The whole floor was littered with dust and rocks, so you had to be careful not to trip over one of those rocks.
There was an electrifying tension in the air and the screams echoing through the hallways only added to it all.
I stopped suddenly when I could make out two members of the Order of the Phoenix in front of me.
When they noticed my presence, they turned to me in a flash and shot the first curses at me.
I just fended off all those and was pushed further and further back.
Bill Weasley and Remus Lupine kept shooting colorful flashes of light trying to trip me up.
I backed away further, deflecting curse after curse.
But I didn't attack.
I would not seriously injure or even kill anyone today.
Suddenly, I stumbled and staggered back a few steps as Bill Weasley hit my left shoulder, tearing the fabric of the Death Eater cloak.
A little blood welled up and ran down my arm.
I glanced to the left and could see a corridor next to me.
I took my chance and blocked one more curse before I ran into the hallway and hid behind an alcove.
I gasped for air and tried to get my pulse back under control.
My heart was in my throat and I could hear my blood pounding in my ears.
I closed my eyes for a moment and then pushed myself hard off the wall.
I kept walking upstairs looking for Draco.
I just had to find him.
The castle was already being filled with violent vibrations and it was becoming increasingly difficult to duel and keep running at the same time.
Through a window I could already see the night sky, which was repeatedly illuminated by colorful flashes of light.
The battle must have lasted a few hours.
My body was beginning to show signs of weakness.
However, I fought against it and kept going.
I kept ducking under curses, each time feeling the tremendous force shooting through the air.
Everywhere I saw students, teachers and Death Eaters fall to the ground.
It was a massacre.
The screams of dying witches and wizards could be heard from all sides.
Hands shaking, I turned down a hallway and leaned against the cool stone wall.
I kneaded my fingers and tried to calm down.
I closed my eyes for a moment and took a deep breath.
Would this battle only end when no one is standing on their feet...?