Chapter 42 ~ When you are at the end, no one can be behind you...

Victoria's Pov.

"Why did you lie to me?" the Ice Prince asked me in an ice-cold voice, crossing his arms and turning his back to me while looking out the window.
"I didn't lie to you..." I tried to get out of the situation, even though I knew it was too late for that.
"Yes, you have!  What else?" the ice prince asked, but didn't look at me and continued to stare out of the large window that dominated his room.
"I just didn't tell you everything..."
"But you broke our promise more than once!!!
At least I assume so.” He interrupted me and glared at me with narrowed eyes.
He was right.
I had broken the promise more than a dozen times and not told him.
I didn't want him to know.
I thought a lie might someday cover up the truth.
But I was wrong and only made it worse.
He found out at the worst possible moment.
On the day when he was already totally exhausted anyway.
I was a terrible person.
And I began to see more and more similarities with my mother.
I never wanted to be like her and yet it had caught up with me.
I swore it to myself years ago and I couldn't keep that promise either.
I had disappointed everyone.
I felt an infinitely deep hate inside me.
To my mother, to the Dark Lord, and most of all to Fenir Greyback, who brought me to this point in the first place.
"How many..?" I heard young Malfoy's soft voice and lifted my head from where I had put it on the floor earlier.
As I caught Draco's gaze, I realized that he had turned away from me again and continued to stare at the darkened streets.
I kept repeating his question in my head and thought hard about telling him the number of victims.
I shifted my weight from one leg to the other and wrestled with myself.
I didn't want to tell him.
On the other hand, he had the right to know.
I owed him that...
I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before saying a number that didn't necessarily make the situation any easier.
"34..", I uttered tormented and slowly opened my eyes.
I waited for a reaction from him, but none came.
I took a step towards him, the floorboards groaning under my feet and stopping me.
I kneaded my fingers and looked everywhere but at Draco.
"Get out of here..." I heard the barely audible voice and widened my eyes in shock.
"What?" I asked in disbelief, about to lose my feet.
"I SAID GET OUT!" Draco repeated emphatically, the calm in his voice completely gone.
I swallowed hard and looked down.
"Okay..." I finally got out of my mouth before leaving his room with one last look at the Ice Prince.
I closed the door behind me with one hand and paused for a moment.
An oppressive feeling had formed in my chest and it felt like small knife wounds, which were stabbed in my chest at short intervals.
My breathing quickened and I felt like I was hyperventilating.
My hands got sweaty and I felt like I was about to lose my temper.
Small tears formed in my eyes, which I tried to suppress.
But the tears of sadness turned to tears of anger.
I brushed them away with the back of my hand and started walking.
I reached into my boot and grabbed my wand.
I didn't want to use it, but I wasn't sure.
With quick steps I ran down the stairs to the entrance hall and searched them.
When I didn't find what I was looking for, I went ahead and ran through all the rooms.
I stopped in front of the Malfoy family living room and made out Fenir Greyback, who was still inside Malfoy Manor.
I found what I was looking for...
"Greyback!" I yelled into the room, getting his attention.
He turned his torso towards me and let his arms dangle beside his body.
I tightened my grip on my wand and slowly walked towards the werewolf.
I stopped about two meters from him and could smell the odor of decay and death emanating from him.
"Why did you tell Draco about my assignments?!" I raised my voice, glaring at him menacingly.
A mischievous grin formed on his face as he took a step towards me.
"Because it's something to be proud of.
The Malfoy offspring would never have the guts to do what you have mastered.
He's not like you.
And that's why he had to know it, so he could understand how weak he is.”, he snarled and licked his teeth.
I loosened the grip of my hand and looked up.
"That.does.yet.give.you.no.right.to.interfere.in.other.things'.business!" I spoke menacingly, emphasizing every single word.
He pressed his lips together and remained silent.
"Stay out of my life!!!" I ordered him and turned on my heel.
With brisk steps I climbed the white marble stairs that led to the first floor and walked down the long corridor until I came to a halt in front of a black door.
With a strong jerk, I pushed open the door that led to my room and, after I had entered the room, slammed it shut again with a loud bang.
I lowered myself down the wall and pulled my knees up to me.
My whole body was shaking and a cold shiver had spread down my spine.
I didn't know how to deal with the current situation.
I was at the end...