Chapter 23 ~ Secret of the great silence before midnight?

Victoria's Pov.

I felt sick with nervousness and my legs were shaking, but I straightened up, lifted my chin and entered the room where I was expected.
I haven't been in this room before, but it was very similar to the other rooms in this house.
Elegant, grand and expensive.
"There you are. I was already expecting you, Victoria. It's good that you are on time, because I have a task for you and it should be done as soon as possible, "said the dark lord's voice behind me as I came to a stop in the middle of the room.
Immediately my arm hair stood on end.
"And that would be, sir?" I asked, turning around.
"I want you to kill worthless Muggles again, but this time I don't want just one Muggle to kill. No, you're supposed to wipe out an entire Muggle village. It's not that big, you should be done with it by midnight. Do you understand me? "Voldemort said in a menacing voice.
I already had 18 people, including 2 children and a baby, on my conscience and now I should double the number.
I was so lost in thought that I didn't notice that the dark lord was now looking threateningly at me and waiting for an answer from me.
"Yes Lord, I understand", I answered quickly, maybe a little too quickly ...
Voldemort ran menacingly towards me.
I could smell his putrid breath, he came so close to me.
But I did not avert my gaze, I am a Death Eater and I am not afraid of my Master.
"If you make any mishaps or missteps, then you can guess what will happen to you.
Because you are clever Victoria, not stupid and not naive.
You obey your master and do what I ask of you. "
"Of course sir, I will not allow myself any missteps, I will do the job and do whatever you ask me to do without even blinking an eyelid," I whispered into the ominous silence.
He grinned contentedly and dismissed me.

Half an hour later I was walking down the street in my black Death Eater robe.
It was cold, gloomy and foggy.
Perfect conditions for killing innocent muggles, I thought ironically.
I went into a small alley, looked again at the slip of paper with the addresses, turned around once and Apparated to the village.
When I came to a stop in a meadow after a short time, I first looked around.
The dark lord was right, the village wasn't that big, just eight houses were jumbled together like crazy.
I checked my watch, 10:00 p.m., I shouldn't waste too much time, I should be ready by midnight.
I walked quickly to the first house, entered the garden and opened the front door with "Alohomora".
I couldn't make out the name of the person who lived in the house because my Death Eater mask blocked part of my vision.
The house was two-story, but completely dark and silent, which meant that the person or people were already asleep.
Quietly, I entered the hallway.
"Lumos," I whispered.
Now I saw everything, but I didn't look around, at least not anymore.
I didn't want to get to know the lives of my victims.
I didn't want to know if the person had children, if they were married. I didn't want to know anything about the person I'm about to murder in cold blood.
Determined I went up the stairs, which creaked loudly with every step.
I stopped and listened.
The muggle hadn't heard me.
I went through various rooms until I found the bedroom.
I went in and saw that an old man was sleeping peacefully in the bed.
If I kill him, maybe it would look like he died peacefully in his sleep.
But since I still had to kill the other people, everyone would soon know that an entire village was exterminated, the cause of death unclear, but only for non-magical people, because every wizard and every witch would know immediately that at a time when the dark Lord is on the verge of gaining power, Muggle murders are the order of the day.
I paused in the door frame for a moment, grasped my magic wand more tightly and walked towards the sleeping man with quiet steps.
"Nox," I muttered, pointing my wand at the old Muggle.
"Avada Kedavra," I said in a cutting tone, and saw the old man stop breathing.
19th
I stormed out of the house and ran straight into the next one.
It was a single-family house, a white facade, a beautifully made garden and children's toys were lying around everywhere.
But I didn't think about it and went straight to the bedroom, this time I found it quicker because the houses were all arranged in the same way.
In the middle of the marriage bed lay a woman, a man and a child.
I closed my eyes and drew my magic wand, pointing it at the woman first and killing her.
Then the child, a little girl, maybe just six years old.
There was nothing I could do, I had to kill her or the dark lord would kill me.
When the little one was also dead in bed, I devoted myself to my father, who looked at me with eyes wide with shock.
"What do you -..." he starts, but I put a finger on my lip and interrupted him, then I silenced him forever with the killing curse.
22nd

The small village was lit up when I killed a couple in the next house.
24.
So I continued to work my way ...
27
I was halfway there, and yet I was already exhausted.
The emptiness, which I still felt with the first murders, has now completely disappeared, instead I felt nothing more, no fear, no sadness, no emptiness, nothing just nothing at all.
I crossed the street and headed for the fifth house.
It was also nicely furnished, but the moving boxes were everywhere, which either meant that someone was about to move out or had just moved in.
In the end, it doesn't matter as the person wouldn't see the next day.
I hummed a song softly to myself and walked past the living room, but turned around again when I noticed that someone was in it.
A young man, not older than 20, was lying completely exhausted on the sofa and seemed to be soundly asleep between all the boxes.
I crouched in front of him and nudged his temple with my wand.
Nothing, no movement.
That makes it a lot easier, of course.
I pointed my staff at him and said, "Avada Kedavra".
He blew any remaining air out of his lungs and slumped.
"28," I mumbled to myself, hearing a little pride in my voice.
"30," I laughed as I left the sixth house.
I had just murdered a drug addict mother and her son and I didn't mind, no, I even enjoyed it a little.
For this reason I almost hopped in the direction of the seventh and therefore the penultimate house.
It looked like the previous ones and so I entered.

"33", I laughed like crazy and ran to the last house.
When I stopped, I read the name on the mailbox.
"Bagshot", somehow the name sounded familiar to me, but I didn't know where from.
The light was on in the house.
I opened the garden gate and walked to the front door.
Somehow I had a strange feeling, the atmosphere was different from the houses before.
There was something magical in the air.
I was sure that there must be a witch or a wizard in this house.
I knew I couldn't just walk in there now, as she must have had more experience as a trained witch than I did.
I decided to knock and surprise her.
"Who are you?" She asked me as she opened the door and hid behind the door more and more.
"I'm a student at Hogwarts and I have something to talk to you about on Dumbledore's orders," I said overly politely, hoping she would believe me.
"That would be?" She asked me skeptically.
"I'll tell you if you would let me in. Please Mrs. Bagshot, you shouldn't stay outside during these difficult times, especially not at this time, please, it only takes five minutes. ", I begged her and she let me in without further ado.
"Come in, but really only for a moment. It's already very late and actually time to go to bed. ", She said tired and exhausted.
Mrs. Bagshot fell back in her chair. But I stopped.
"Would you like a drink?" She asked me, but got up without waiting for an answer and went into the kitchen.
My right hand reached under my jacket and snapped for my wand.
With the other hand I put on my hood and Death Eater mask.
I waited for Mrs. Bagshot to come back and pointed my wand at her.
In shock, she dropped the tin with the drinks and wanted to reach for her magic wand, but I reacted faster and tied her with invisible ropes.
"Avada Kedavra," I said and Mrs. Bagshot fell to the floor.

As I looked around the house a little further, my gaze caught on a newspaper article.
And then it fell like scales from my eyes.
I knew this woman.
She was none other than the well-known writer "Bathilda Bagshot".
And I had just killed her, but I didn't mind and so I left the house.
"34," I said to myself, and kept walking.
When I came to a stop on the deserted street, I checked my watch.
"Midnight sharp, time to go home."